Can't get internet access to work

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

GarryB
Space Cadet

Can't get internet access to work

Post by GarryB »

Hello,

There have been quite a few posts here about getting internet access working in SS. I've read through most of them and tried what was suggested and still can't get a result. So, please forgive yet another request for help.

I followed the setup instructions (well, I believe I did !). In TCP/IP settings, I had "Ethernet" and "DCHP". I started IE and tried to access the Apple web site. LittleSnitch popped up and I gave permission forever. That suggested to me that SS was passing through requests. However, nothing came back. IE was just sitting, waiting - it didn't pop up saying the web site was not found just the throbber throbbing.

So, I tried manually entering DNS server addresses (OpenDNS). Then I tried manual TCP/IP settings, starting with the settings that were visible in auto mode. Then I tried the settings that were in one of the forum posts. Then I tried changing user mode to advanced and turning off the option "Load only with needed". By this time, SS had stopping sending any requests. At first IE was showing the name of the requested page, but by this time it was not. So, I deleted the TCP/IP settings and started again.

What's really odd now is that the automatic DCHP settings that come up are not like those mentioned elsewhere on this forum. I have:

IP Address: 169.254.215.148
Subnet mask: 255.255.0.0
Router address: 169.254.215.148
Name Server addr: 239.255.255.251

No matter what I do now, those settings come up.

Can anyone help ?

Many thanks.

Garry
MacBook, late 2008, 8Gb, OS X 10.6.8
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Can't get internet access to work

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The IP-address you see in the TCP/IP control panel indicates you got an internal address. This happens when slirp networking seems unavailable.

Did you set ethernet interface to "slirp" in the preferences? Whithout this, SheepShaver can't use the network. Setting slirp activates a SheepShaver-internal DHCP server.
This then requires you to set the TCP/IP control panel to connect via "ethernet" and configure "using DHCP server", which should give you the IP-address etc. you see in the guides (10.x.x.x).

If not, in the TCP/IP control panel, set Configure to "Manually" and use the guide to set the values manually.

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

GarryB wrote:At first IE was showing the name of the requested page,
That indicates that at that time your internet connection was working. IE Mac is too old to be able to show the pages of a modern web site like http://www.apple.com. Maybe the site also denies access by incompatible browsers. You will see a blank page with only the title of the page in the IE window title bar. Try less demanding web sites. Better, if you are running MacOS9 in SheepShaver, try Classilla: http://www.floodgap.com/software/classilla/
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason:  
GarryB
Space Cadet

Post by GarryB »

Thanks for this. It works now.

Yes, I have had slirp specified all the way through. I've tried Slirp too, in case upper case made a difference. I've tried manually entering the TCP/IP settings. I've then changed back to auto and got the same internal address.

But, it was a SheepShaver prefs issue. I had Finder problems yesterday that prevented settings being saved. I've fixed that now. So, I thought maybe there was a problem in saving SheepShaver prefs too. SheepShaver did show the correct settings but, it was fixed after I deleted SheepShaver prefs and tried again. Now, IE works, although as noted below, IE 5.1.7 can't show some web sites. I've downloaded Classilla.

So, many thanks. I'll keep an eye on the Prefs file to make sure all is OK.

Cheers.

Garry