Sheepshaver emulating OS 8.5-8.7 firewire support

About unsupported SheepShaver configurations, like COI (Chubby Bunny), SheepShaver Wrapper, etc.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

yimiblu
Space Cadet

Sheepshaver emulating OS 8.5-8.7 firewire support

Post by yimiblu »

Hi all! :)
I'm new here, and i'm reading a few hours all regarding emulation of MAC OS 8.5, 8.6, 8.7... in MAc OS x (Snow Leopard). From zero, now i'm able to install and use some of them. I just want to use a Firewire Image Memory Card Reader (Fujifilm DM-R1), but, even after overcoming all obstacles to achieve run these older operating systems, i'm at the point that, after installing proper firewire card reader drivers, system cant recognize the hardware, or cant show the new unit... don't know what, don't know why, don't know how :( Quite desperated :(

Could you please help me in anyway?

Thanks!

Javi
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Sheepshaver emulating OS 8.5-8.7 firewire support

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

1. You post this in the "Other SheepShaver configurations" subforum, so I suppose you use a special SheepShaver configuration. Which one do you use?

2. You cannot use firewire with these emulators. Is there a special reason why you want to read or write files directly between the emulator and the card reader? You can use the card reader in OSX and move files between the OSX host and the MacOS guest using the shared folder feature.
yimiblu
Space Cadet

Post by yimiblu »

Hello Ronald, and thanks for your quick answer :)

I suposed that this was the right place to my question :$ Sorry if not :/ Maybe i made a mistake... i have here sheepshaver itself, and other 3 'packs', with OS 7.5 (from wp forum), OS 9.x, and another onem an APP where i could drag my ROM and OS 7, 8 or 9... But now i think i'm using just Sheepshaver, and i configured it with the ROm from an OS 8.5 image disk, and this OS 8.5 img, and then updated to OS 8.7. If i read this twice in aloud voice, i feel crazy... :D

The main question is that i have a firewire Compact flash card reader, that it's only supported by MAC OS 8.5.1 - 9.0 :( I've spent many hours trying to understand what this means, and I have concluded that my only solution is to install an emulator for older operating systems apple where my firewire drivers to install and use this card reader.... Sorry for my english, it's not my native languaje, and sorry if i can't explain my problem better, i'm trying to do both the best i can.

Any advice for further research? I promise I've spent all my known alternatives, would not bother before trying everything in my power. :)

Thanks thanks!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

(I did not even know that MacOS 8.7 existed.)

But regarding your question: SheepShaver does not emulate the Firewire hardware. It is as if you have an old pre-Firewire Mac that has no Firewire ports. Installing drivers does not change that.

I would expect the card reader to work in OSX, even without special drivers. Have you tried? If it does not work, are you sure the cards you tried with it are OK?

But if it does not work in OSX, even with healthy cards, you cannot use this card reader. Have you considered buying a new reader? If the flash cards are of a usual type, you can use them in any cheap universal card reader.
yimiblu
Space Cadet

Post by yimiblu »

Well, first of all: I have Mac OS 8.7 installed and running :D (it's called Shara... I can send you some images to an e-mail if you want! :))

Apart from this, i can see Firewire capabilities extension in OS 8.5, 8.6 and 8.7; and i placed the firewire hardware extensions in it's folder, and activated them in extensions manager, without any success :(

The thing is that i have USB card readers, but i bought this Firewire one, because of it's supposed speed, but this hardware is quite old, from year 2000, and only compatible with mac OS 8.5.1 to 9.0 But... i see it's not possible to emulate firewire capabilities as you say :''(

I'm afraid i must re-sell this hardware, or save it in a box forever :(

Thank you very much for your help, Ronald :)
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Sorry to co-opt the thread, but it appears the original issue has been sorted (Firewire and USB are not exposed to the guest OS via Sheepshaver).

On to the other stuff...
By 8.7, I presume you're talking about Mac OS 8.7a6c3 (Codename: “Sarah”) (as opposed to 8.7a6c2, which was also codenamed "Sarah") -- are you finding this to be stable? I ended up scrapping this image because I found that there were still a number of stability issues in that beta version and it wasn't all that different from my 9.0.4 image, other than the version number. Are you using the US English version of this beta, or an international version?

Also, just so everyone doesn't get TOO confused, 8.7 was officially released as Mac OS 9.0. So after 8.6, the next stable version was 9.0.4 (which some of us at the time called 8.9).
yimiblu
Space Cadet

Post by yimiblu »

Hi!
This is 'Sarah', Mac OS 8.7a6c2 and, i don't use it much... i just installed it trying to use that old firewire hardware, unsuccessfully :( But it seems to be quite stable:
Finder: 8.7a6
System: 8.7a6 US
Quicktime: 4.0

:)