An interesting SheepShaver configuration

About unsupported SheepShaver configurations, like COI (Chubby Bunny), SheepShaver Wrapper, etc.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

emendelson
Forum All-Star

An interesting SheepShaver configuration

Post by emendelson »

This is quite impressive, and uses techniques I haven't seen elsewhere:

http://jamesfriend.com.au/running-hypercard-stack-2014
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: An interesting SheepShaver configuration

Post by adespoton »

Can you elaborate? To me it looks like he's using a standard SS build with HC preloaded to get things done.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Seems so. You can download the 95 Mb mac application from his site and examine it.

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

In a way interesting, but unnecessary complex. Not sure what all the included python scripts are needed for.

Apparently the creator knows about SheepShaver virtual machines, but possibly does not know about .sheepvm virtual machines. The Resources folder in the application is in fact a normal SheepShaver virtual machine, with OS9 and HyperCard installed, preconfigured, using /Users/ as the shared folder, and with my latest SheepShaver build inside.

If you take the Resources folder from the application package and add a .sheepvm extension to its name, it will work on its own without all the added complexities.

Edit: Nasty thing when you run the full "Hypercard.app" is that it overwrites your existing ~/.sheepshaver_prefs file. Completely unnecessary, because the virtual machine uses the included "prefs" file and not the ~/.sheepshaver_prefs file. Maybe the creator made a SheepShaver virtual machine without knowing he did.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason:  
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:Edit: Nasty thing when you run the full "Hypercard.app" is that it overwrites your existing ~/.sheepshaver_prefs file. Completely unnecessary, because the virtual machine uses the included "prefs" file and not the ~/.sheepshaver_prefs file. Maybe the creator made a SheepShaver virtual machine without knowing he did.
I think that's exactly what happened. To fix the nasty behavior, go to his Resources folder, open run-classic.sh in TextEdit or any other editor, and comment out the line "cp prefs ~/.sheepshaver.prefs" (by adding # at the left).

What is good about this kind of system is that it is self-contained. Users don't have to install both SheepShaver and a sheepvm file. I maintain a web site for WordPerfect users, and many of the people who use my systems are able only to use self-contained systems. Anything else is too confusing for many long-time Mac users.

EDIT: You can eliminate all the python stuff by editing info.plist and changing the executable from "Hypercard" to "run-classic.sh". I'm not sure why he didn't do that in first place, but maybe a closer look at _boot_.py will clarify that. I really don't see what that script does, but I am only a beginner at python.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

emendelson wrote:What is good about this kind of system is that it is self-contained. Users don't have to install both SheepShaver and a sheepvm file.
If you put the SheepShaver application inside the sheepvm package, you have a much simpler self-contained and portable virtual machine in a single (package) file. All the rest is superfluous.

You only need a somename.sheepvm package that contains: SheepShaver.app, rom file, keycodes file, disk image with installed OS, and prefs file. Once configured, it will run without further configuration on any Mac with a OSX that the included SheepShaver can run on. Put it on a USB stick and you can carry your SheepShaver in your pocket, start working in MacOS9 on one OSX Mac and continue on another machine.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
emendelson wrote:You only need a somename.sheepvm package that contains: SheepShaver.app, rom file, keycodes file, disk image with installed OS, and prefs file. Once configured, it will run without further configuration on any Mac with a OSX that the included SheepShaver can run on. Put it on a USB stick and you can carry your SheepShaver in your pocket, start working in MacOS9 on one OSX Mac and continue on another machine.
Ah! I didn't know this. I didn't realize that the sheepvm could include the SheepShaver.app. I'm sure that information is on the forum somewhere, but I never absorbed it!

Thank you for this!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Bits and pieces of information about SheepShaver virtual machines, both in folders and in .sheepvm packages, and about the related SheepShaverLauncher are scattered around the forum. I intend to put it all together in a manual, when I can find the time to do it.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I believe there's a thread somewhere where the three of us are discussing .sheepvm files and I mentioned that that's how I bundled mine up. It allows me to have a "testing" sheepshaver, but keep my deployments of various guests stable.