New To SheepShaver Trying to play Prime Target

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

N3KR3P0
Student Driver

New To SheepShaver Trying to play Prime Target

Post by N3KR3P0 »

Hi everyone, I have decided to once again try my quest to play Prime Target that I remember so fondly in my early years. I have Sheepshaver running on Windows 8 64-bit. Using the New World Rom supplied on redundantrobot.com and used mac osx9. I have the Prime Target. Sit file brought over from the selecting my host c drive through sheepshaver and am now not sure how to "mount" this .sit file in sheepshaver. to play it. Thanx in advance for your guys help!
N3KR3P0
Student Driver

Re: New To SheepShaver Trying to play Prime Target

Post by N3KR3P0 »

Okay, I'm getting closer *Update*- I downloaded a .toast file for prime target and added it to the volume directory. upon bootup i got cd icon called prime target, i click it and install, the install goes fine. I then click on the cd icon again and click the launcher icon it tell me not enough memory for sounds channels, i click okay. Now it says that the prime target cd int inserted.....

here i have removed the .toast file from the volume since my install of it on the HD https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6DKnD ... sp=sharing
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

A few issues to sort out here:
1) .sit is the MacOS equivalent of .zip. You will need to get a copy of stuffit expander to decompress it.
2) Redundant Robot boot drive is a "let's get things started" image -- you will need to install a full OS on a larger drive image in order to play most games. As an added benefit, Mac OS 9, when installed from CD/iso, automatically installs Stuffit Expander, so you can open the .sit files too :)
N3KR3P0
Student Driver

Post by N3KR3P0 »

Okay, Now I have downloaded a few other images but whenever i try adding them to the volume list sheepshaver boots up then tell me i need the updated installer or something along thoses lines. I feel i'm just not looking for the correct thing. I use the search term "Mac OS9 Full disk image" and don't seem to find what i really need.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

What you need is an empty 500MB hard disk image and a Mac OS 9.0.4 install CD iso. Attach both, boot off the CD image, and follow the instructions in formatting the hard disk image and installing Mac OS 9.0.4. After that's done, you'll have plenty of spare space and all the system extensions needed for most games. You might have an issue with Quicktime version; search these forums for more details if you get stuck at any point in the process.
N3KR3P0
Student Driver

Post by N3KR3P0 »

You were right all along. after I got the right rom and install cd and properly moved the files to the emulated HD then used stuffit to expand the .sit for the virtual drive and mounted the .toast file for prime target after installing it and BAM! just took me a second to get audio output figured and then just a matter a setting my preferred controls. Just wish the mouse would actually work but tracking must not work for some reason. So thanx for everything everybody!