Partitioning without Darwin

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Le petit prince
Tinkerer

Partitioning without Darwin

Post by Le petit prince »

Hi,

you actually even don't need Darwin to partition your hard disk!

Here is what I did to install Mac OS X 10.3:

1. Make an ISO image from the Mac OS X 10.3-install CDs (I used PlexTools Professional).

2. Download the 3 GB partition from the PearPC site and extract it to your PearPC-folder.

3. Set up PearPC with the configuration 'jassman' suggested. Stay with 128 MB RAM (I had a crash when I tried to set it to 576 MB RAM).

4. Boot from the CD-ROM ISO image.

5. When the first Installer dialog appears on the screen, start the hard disc utility.

6. Create one partition of 3 GB on the hard disk.

7. Format (= delete) the newly created partition.

8. Quit the hard disk utility.

9. Quit the installer. This aborts the installation and quits PearPC (would restart a real Mac).

10. Restart PearPC.

11. Boot from the CD-ROM ISO image and choose everything as you would normally do in a clean Mac OS X install. You should now be able to choose the hard disk for install.

As you can see the only difference is the restart after partitioning and formating the hard disk. There probably even isn't a difference between Darwin and Mac OS X as far as the use of the their two hard disk utilities is concerned.

Regards,

Le petit prince
Last edited by Le petit prince on Wed May 12, 2004 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monkey
Student Driver

Post by Monkey »

What format? Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or Unix?
Le petit prince
Tinkerer

Mac OS X Extended (NOT journaling as it slows down the system way to much!).

Regards,

Le petit prince
Monkey
Student Driver

Post by Monkey »

=( When I get to that, since I figured the Darwin install was unnecessary, I told the OS X cd to reformat but I was only given Extended with journaling and Unix :( Picked Extended.
Le petit prince
Tinkerer

Did you start the hard disk utility (Installer -> Open hard disk utility ...)? I think you won't see the "Mac OS Extended" (no journaling)-file system when you just go through the installer, it's just in the hard disk utility (I hope it's called like that in the English version as I am installing another localisation ... :-)).

Regards,

Le petit prince
Last edited by Le petit prince on Wed May 12, 2004 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monkey
Student Driver

Post by Monkey »

Figured that out a few minutes after I started the install, and figured I would just try it out journaled, and if I didn't like it, reinstall overnight.

:x