OS9 bombs on start

About unsupported SheepShaver configurations, like COI (Chubby Bunny), SheepShaver Wrapper, etc.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

back2mac
Space Cadet

OS9 bombs on start

Post by back2mac »

The only Rom that works for me is OS9, sort of. After running, it bombs on start requesting extensions be turned of. (It never takes me through the initialization process.) Pressing the shift key to turn of extensions, gives an error message "unimplemented trap, turn off extensions and restart." After doing this, I get a second error message "The application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way." The other ROMS (old world OS7 do not work. They start, but show a disc with a question mark).

Do I have things in the correct folder? My SheepShaver folder is on the desktop
The cdne*** file is in WoW64 driver folder
My OS file is on the desktop and the drive I created through the panel is on the desktop.
Memory is set to 512
Hard drive is at 2,000
All the suggestions for troubleshooting booting were taken.
In the panel that sets memory it designated a CD-ROM to use. Which do I choose?
Also, after creating the hard drive in the panel, do I move it to the top place in the panel or just click start?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: OS9 bombs on start

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I see that you did not get an answer yet. That may be because you questions are not clear.

1. Why did you post this in the "Other SheepShaver configurations" sub-forum instead of in the SheepShaver forum itself? Do you use a special version or build of SheepShaver?

2. There seems to be confusion between CD-ROM and ROM file.
- A CD-ROM is a CD, such as a system installation CD
- A ROM file is, well, a file. It is needed to run SheepShaver and it can be obtained in different ways. Apparently you use a compatible ROM file (a "Mac OS ROM" file somewhere in your SheepShaver folder?), because otherwise SheepShaver would not run at all and you would not see the disk with question mark.

When you say "The only Rom that works for me is OS9" that makes no sense. OS9 refers to a MacOS version or possibly a disk image file with MacOS installed on it, not to a ROM file.

- You apparently use a Windows host. Which version, and is it 32 or 64 bit?
- Which ROM file did you use, where did you get it?
- What did you use as startup volume? A system install CD? Which version and is it a regular retail install CD? Or did you use a disk image created from an install CD, and was that install CD a regular retail CD? Or did you use a disk image with a limited ready-installed MacOS9, such as can be downloaded from Macintosh Garden?
In the panel that sets memory it designated a CD-ROM to use. Which do I choose?
Not sure which setting you are referring to.
In the Volumes tab you asked to set your CD-ROM Drive.
In the Memories tab you are asked for the path to the ROM file you want to use.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: