Mini vMac Linux ARM Custom Res

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

matrix76
Space Cadet

Mini vMac Linux ARM Custom Res

Post by matrix76 »

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me with this, just for fun, i made a little mini mac, 3d printed with a Raspberry Pi powering it. I have a 3.5 inch 480x320 LCD touch screen.

My issue is that i'm trying to get Mini vMac to fit the screen and I was hoping someone would be able to either help me compile a suitable build using a Mac or perhaps compile it for me?

My current build was achieved by using gryphel.com's custom service which worked perfectly except the resolution wasn't quite right using their presets.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers
Matt
gryphel
Nice Guy

Re: Mini vMac Linux ARM Custom Res

Post by gryphel »

I have added the 480x320 resolution to the Mini vMac 3.5 Beta Variations Service.

Since that is smaller than the Macintosh Plus screen, there are likely to be various compatibility issues.
gryphel
Nice Guy

Post by gryphel »

By the way, for anyone using Mini vMac with a touch screen in full screen mode, you will probably want to use the "Mouse Emulation Accuracy : Less" option. The more accurate mouse emulation usually used in full screen mode is designed for devices that can give relative motion, like mice.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Thanks, Paul!

I've used this resolution before myself; System 7 and up handles it well, and just crops the bottom of the screen on full screen apps. System 6 and earlier can have some interesting display glitches where the bit drawn past the end of screen gets drawn on top of other bits of the screen, and in some cases, things just crash.
matrix76
Space Cadet

Post by matrix76 »

Thanks for that, I gave it a try, however it just crashes and closes the program immediately. The previous build worked fine provided i was using HDMI out to a monitor but for some reason crashes during the system 7 boot up process on the little LCD.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to try compiling myself, trial and error Mini vMac for the Raspberry Pi?

Cheers,
gryphel
Nice Guy

Post by gryphel »

Thanks for the bug report. To narrow down the issue, could you try Variation 8254, which is compiled for black and white. I remember having some trouble with color output on the Raspberry Pi, but when I updated Raspbian the problem went away. So unfortunately I can't now debug what Mini vMac is doing out of the ordinary.

If you would like to compile it yourself, see the Building Mini vMac page.

So are you saying that your Raspberry Pi has two monitors at once? Do you use the "-display" command line argument to select where the output goes? I've never tried that, so I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't work.

By the way, I guess I didn't state it strongly enough - Mini vMac isn't usable with a touch screen in full screen mode without using the "Mouse Emulation Accuracy : Less" option.
matrix76
Space Cadet

Post by matrix76 »

Hi, your latest build worked like a charm, so it must have something to do with colour, makes sense as the previous build crashed just as it switched to the colour boot screen. Thanks again for all your help!