SheepShaver (COI) and High Sierra: transferring files

About unsupported SheepShaver configurations, like COI (Chubby Bunny), SheepShaver Wrapper, etc.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Pete Richards
Space Cadet

SheepShaver (COI) and High Sierra: transferring files

Post by Pete Richards »

I have been using SheepShaver under Yosemite, made the jump to High Sierra yesterday. Everything I try to do within SheepShaver's emulation works as before, as far as I can tell, but when I try to save or transfer files to "Unix", I get error messages. This has been true with MacDraw Pro and SimpleText.

I'm not much of a techie - how can I communicate between my System 9 emulation and the rest of my computer?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: SheepShaver and High Sierra: transferring files

Post by adespoton »

You may need to repair permissions on the folder you're sharing.

I have no problems on High Sierra on SheepShaver apps I've dragged to the desktop and back, assuming they're pointing somewhere I have read/write permissions. I usually use /User/Shared/<something> for that exact purpose.

The security model changed significantly between Yosemite and High Sierra, so you may be running up against a number of protections that just don't like your old configuration or file/folder access settings.
Pete Richards
Space Cadet

Re: SheepShaver and High Sierra: transferring files

Post by Pete Richards »

A more detailed description of the problematic behaviors I am experiencing, in case it tells someone else something that is not apparent to me....

Apparently what I installed is this: "Classic-On-Intel (COI) is simply a pre-configured version of SheepShaver." I have been using the default Unix folder as my shared folder, it's not apparent that I installed the other folders that the ReadMe doc refers to.

On startup of SheepShaver: Error message "File sharing could not be established". This has been true from the beginning, and file sharing using the "Unix" "drive" has generally been successful.

Since upgrading to High Sierra:

Simple text
* Save and move to shared folder: OK
* Save direct to shared folder: “Cannot save. Disk may be full or locked, or file may be locked.”

MacDraw Pro:
* Save direct to shared folder: “Disk error: Error ID -39”
* Save and move to shared folder: Intaglio: “Resource fork could not be opened.”
• ..Occurs whether or not suffix .drw is appended, and whether file was created before or after upgrade to High Sierra.
• ..However, files made and moved to shared folder before upgrade are OK.
* Save as PICT, open using Intaglio: OK after converting to picture for editing.

MacDraw 1.95:
* Save to shared folder or save and move to shared folder – no error indications, but no app to open these files.

No other programs to test….
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: SheepShaver (COI) and High Sierra: transferring files

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

As this is about COI, I moved this topic to the "Other SheepShaver configurations" subforum.

The default (and fixed) shared folder in COI is the folder /Users/Shared/

Was your macOS startup volume converted from HFS+ to APFS file system when you updated to High Sierra? If that volume is an Apple internal SSD, the file system was converted.
somniferous
Tinkerer

Post by somniferous »

When you say dragged to the desktop and back, which kind of files, which desktop? Back to where?

I need my MacProject Pro to work again, please.
somniferous
Tinkerer

Post by somniferous »

What is COI? Not sure how to make MacProject work in High Sierra but I need to.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

@ somniferous:
COI is a specific pre-configured SheepShaver clone. If you use a regular SheepShaver setup, please post in the regular SheepShaver forum, not in this subforum.
Pete Richards
Space Cadet

Post by Pete Richards »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:As this is about COI, I moved this topic to the "Other SheepShaver configurations" subforum.

The default (and fixed) shared folder in COI is the folder /Users/Shared/

Was your macOS startup volume converted from HFS+ to APFS file system when you updated to High Sierra? If that volume is an Apple internal SSD, the file system was converted.
Yes, the startup volume is an SSD and the file system is APFS. Does that help somehow?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

It means you may have to repair access permissions on the host system. SheepShaver may not have proper read/write access to the Shared folder.
Pete Richards
Space Cadet

Post by Pete Richards »

When I search for instructions about repairing permissions, what I find refers to doing so for files in my Home folder. But SheepShaver (COI) is not in my home folder, nor is the Shared folder that provides file sharing between SS/COI and my "regular" system. They are in My Macbook/Macintosh HD/Applications and My Macbook/Macintosh HD/Users/Shared, respectively.

Can you point me to instructions for repairing permissions at this higher level?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Repairing permissions in the Shared folder should be the same as repairing permissions in any other home folder; Shared just happens to be writeable to everyone.

In the old days, we just loaded up Disk Utility and ran "repair disk permissions" which fixed the entire disk -- but I don't believe this has been possible since El Capitan.

I tend to just go to the terminal and use chmod and chown to change the read/write/execute and owner permissions, but because of that, my Shared folder's contents have a slightly different permissions setting than you'd normally get.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

When logged in as an administrator user, you should also be able to check and adjust permissions in Finder Info panel for the folder.

Note that you should only use the shared folder for exchanging files between the SheepShaver emulated machine and the host, nothing else. And that is even more true in High Sierra.

In SheepShaver:
- Do not save files to the Unix disk
- Do not open files on the Unix disk
- Do not move files from the Unix disk to the desktop (but instead copy them directly from the Unix disk to another mounted volume)
- Do not move files from the Unix disk to the trash
Pete Richards
Space Cadet

Post by Pete Richards »

My file-transferring problem apparently is that the resource fork is getting stripped from my (Macdraw Pro) files when they are copied to the Unix folder (the shared folder). This was not the case under Yosemite.

I may have a problem with my configuration. When I start Sheepshaver, I get a message that "File sharing could not be enabled". In spite of this file sharing has worked in the past. Perhaps something has changed in High Sierra in such a way that this problem is now a serious one, while with Yosemite it was not.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Is the message "File sharing could not be enabled" a message from MacOS9 in SheepShaver? Then it is probably related to a setting in one of the MacOS9 control panels and has nothing to do with transferring files through Unix/shared folder.

Try this test:
- Copy a MacDraw Pro file to Unix.
- On the host side move the file to a different location
- Make a copy of the file back to the shared folder
- Within SheepShaver copy the file from Unix to the OS9 HD

Does that last copy have its proper icon and does MacDraw Pro still considers it to be intact?
Pete Richards
Space Cadet

Post by Pete Richards »

In my implementation (such as it is) the icons do not show who they are - they are just generic dog-eared pages. If I move a file from OS9 HD to Unix and back again, it is already corrupted. I did verify using ResEdit on OS9 side that a thus-corrupted file has no resource fork.
Pete Richards
Space Cadet

Post by Pete Richards »

Sorry, I missed the first question of your reply. Yes, the message "File sharing could not be enabled" is from the OS9 side on startup.

As I indicated, this message has been there from the start, and is not therefore connected to my migration to High Sierra, unless there is an interaction between what this message is reporting and differences in the new operating system.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The message "File sharing could not be enabled" is not related in any way to sharing files between SheepShaver guest and the host through the Unix/shared folder feature.

If your Mac has a SSD as internal "disk", installing High Sierra will change the file system on that drive from HFS+ to APFS. If that is so, I suppose it is that APFS that causes using Unix/shared folder to loose the resource fork.

Some here claimed that this does not happen on their High Sierra + APFS machines. I wonder what could cause that difference in behaviour.

A regular SheepShaver setup has simple to use possibilities to change the setup, like changing the location of the shared folder, that COI does not have.

However, COI can use HFS+ formatted .dmg disk images with specific names inside the /Users/Shared/ folder. Those images can also be mounted in the host system (not at the same time with mounting within SheepShaver). You could copy or save to such an volume within SheepShaver and after quitting SheepShaver read the file from the image mounted in the host system. Make sure to again unmount that image before starting COI again.