"The document could not be opened...

About unsupported SheepShaver configurations, like COI (Chubby Bunny), SheepShaver Wrapper, etc.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

cdoublejj
Student Driver

"The document could not be opened...

Post by cdoublejj »

"The document could not be opened, because the application program that created it could not be found. Could not find a translation extension with appropriate translators."

Any time i try to install a program through the UNIX drive on COI (chubby bunny) it says "The document could not be opened, because the application program that created it could not be found. Could not find a translation extension with appropriate translators.".

I tried copying it to the desktop and restarting the same thing happened, with both programs with form what i could tell are different file extension... well the classila file has a .sea and the starcraft installer launcher has NO file extension.

I did a quick search on the forums and did some skimming and my brain exploded to many terms and references i don't understand. i do seem a quite a bit of mention of a preference file that supposedly tells mac what file extensions are opened with what and that copying to other volumes you can mount might work but, i think the starcraft folder is over 1.2gb.
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Re: "The document could not be opened...

Post by Jorpho »

cdoublejj wrote:I did a quick search on the forums and did some skimming and my brain exploded to many terms and references i don't understand.
So try harder to understand them. :wink:

It is an inherent limitation of the Macintosh file system that Macintosh files cannot be stored on non-Macintosh volumes. At the very least, files such as Stuffit archives will not open when they are double-clicked. In such cases, you can open the Stuffit archive by manually launching Stuffit Expander and opening the archive from within the application. Stuffit archives often have the .sit extension; files with a .sea extension are also sometimes Stuffit archives, but not always. (.sea stands for "self-extracting archive", but if you store a .sea file on a non-Macintosh file system, the self-extracting component will be lost.)

I don't know where you got Classilla from, but the version at http://www.floodgap.com/software/classilla/releases/ is a .sit file.

As for the Starcraft Installer Launcher, if you copied that from a CD, you should try mounting an image of that CD in Sheepshaver and launching it from there. If you didn't copy it from a CD, where did it come from?
NucAr
Tinkerer

Post by NucAr »

Don't run things in the UNIX shared folder volume since they often won't work properly. You need to drag (copy) the file/document to one of SheepShaver's (COI's) volumes, probably the main "hard drive" it booted from. Then run the file.

The desktop in Mac OS 9 and earlier doesn't work the way it does in Mac OS X. If you move a file to the desktop, it's still stored in the volume it was moved from. So after you copy a file to a SheepShaver volume, you can then move it to the desktop, but moving a file from UNIX to the desktop won't help you.

Note, on this forum, I don't think people would give so much support on COI since the main focus here is support and development of the latest version of SheepShaver. I highly recommend just using SheepShaver following the installation guide on this site (and strictly using disc images with SheepShaver, not physical discs).
cdoublejj
Student Driver

Post by cdoublejj »

NucAr wrote:Don't run things in the UNIX shared folder volume since they often won't work properly. You need to drag (copy) the file/document to one of SheepShaver's (COI's) volumes, probably the main "hard drive" it booted from. Then run the file.

The desktop in Mac OS 9 and earlier doesn't work the way it does in Mac OS X. If you move a file to the desktop, it's still stored in the volume it was moved from. So after you copy a file to a SheepShaver volume, you can then move it to the desktop, but moving a file from UNIX to the desktop won't help you.

Note, on this forum, I don't think people would give so much support on COI since the main focus here is support and development of the latest version of SheepShaver. I highly recommend just using SheepShaver following the installation guide on this site (and strictly using disc images with SheepShaver, not physical discs).
that makes much more sense and explains a lot, is COI outdated?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I really have no idea whether the COI packager release a newer package. If not, the SheepShaver version has indeed been outdated for some time.

If you want/need to use COI, search the forum for instructions on how to update the SheepShaver program inside the package.

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

As the question is about COI, I moved this topic to the "Other SheepShaver configurations" subfolder.
cdoublejj
Student Driver

Post by cdoublejj »

so i tried copying to the other drives or what i think are the other drives, by using the icons on the desktop like idid with the unix drive, no matter where i copy it to i can't seem to run it.

is there a way to FOR SURE navigate to a drive where i can execute my programs. I'm gonna do some youtube searching maybe i might get lucky and find what i'm looking for.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Is this still in COI? COI comes with a three zipped disk images of different sizes ("400Meg.blank HD .zip" which unzips as "400Meg.dmg", etc.). The images you want to use need to be copied in OSX to the /Users/Shared folder. The next time COI is launched, they will appear on the OS9 desktop. Copy applications in OS9 from the "Unix" volume to those volumes before launching them.
cdoublejj
Student Driver

Post by cdoublejj »

where are "those" volumes located? :oops: for reference i understand the unix volume i have that part down but, i'm not sure i know where the other volumes are in inside os9.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Unlike a normal SheepShaver installation, COI is pre-configured in a way that cannot easily be changed and thus can only use disk image files with specific names that need to be located in one specific location.

The three blank image files that are included in the COI download (in the expanded folder COI (Classic-On-Intel) V4.0.1 "Chubby Bunny ") can be used. After expanding the three zip files, the image files will have these file names: 400Meg.dmg, 800Meg.dmg, and 1200Meg.dmg. Do not change the file names. You can use one or more image files as needed. The image file(s) you want to use must be copied to the /Users/Shared folder in OSX. Do not mount the images in OSX, just copy the files to that location.

After that, when COI/SheepShaver is launched, the volumes related to these image files will appear on the MacOS9 desktop with the respective names 400Meg, 800Meg, or 1.2Gig.
cdoublejj
Student Driver

Post by cdoublejj »

aaaaannnnddd then i can copy my files to said volumes and run them, correct me if i am wrong.

If i can get the hang of COI i might take o nthe task of setting up sheep shaver but, i'm not sure where i'd get an os9 image because the real discs cost 100 bucks.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

cdoublejj wrote:aaaaannnnddd then i can copy my files to said volumes and run them, correct me if i am wrong.
Right. Copy your applications or installers within MacOS9 from the "Unix" volume (where you already had them) to, for instance, the "800Meg" volume and run them from there.
If i can get the hang of COI i might take o nthe task of setting up sheep shaver but, i'm not sure where i'd get an os9 image because the real discs cost 100 bucks.
You can use the OS9 image as well as the ROM file that COI uses. I can explain how to get those files out of COI and how to clear the COI configuration in SheepShaver prefs. Then you can start installing and configuring SheepShaver following most of our setup guide.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
cdoublejj
Student Driver

Post by cdoublejj »

it is it's own fault, it was supposed to auto mount those volumes but, didn't mount them and wont mount them. thusly i have no drives to copy it to.
its.cass
Space Cadet

Post by its.cass »

Hi guys!

Also new to this who emulator thing, but have read some posts to gain understanding into Chubby Bunny, etc to try and get my old Dr. Brain disc working for my daughter...

I have followed the instructions above, yet am still getting the same error when trying to open any files ('could not find a translation extension with appropriate translators'). I had mounted the disc as per recommendations, and it is displaying in my 1.2 Gig volume as a .dmg

System requirements for game are 6.0.7 or higher - am I using too new of an OS? Should I try using the 7?

Thanks! :lol:
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

its.cass wrote:I had mounted the disc as per recommendations, and it is displaying in my 1.2 Gig volume as a .dmg
That does not sound right. A .dmg file should not be on the "1200Meg.dmg" volume.

Exactly what are you trying to do, with what, and how?