cannot open rom file

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

cxz
Space Cadet

cannot open rom file

Post by cxz »

Help me plz

I've done everything by the book, but Basilisk ii says "cannot open rom file"
My Mac IIci rom file: 368cadfe.rom

thanks
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

No idea, if your ROM will work.
There are some threads in this forum, suggesting downloading some ROM rom RedundantRobot.
(Google for "redundantrobot" without the quotes, SheepShaver tutorial, Performa ROM)
Maybe you would like to look there?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi, Welcome!

A rom file from a macII will not work. We normally use performa or quadra roms for BasiliskII. They are 1Mb in size.
The current BasiliskII program supports Mac OS 7.5.x to 8.1.

Best,
Cat_7
IPalindromeI
Tinkerer

Post by IPalindromeI »

Actually 7.0 to 8.1. 7.1 and a hybrid of 7.5 and 8.0 are the best I find; 7.1 runs almost everything 7.6.1 can with extensions and the hybrid is best for creating images for both Basilisk and SheepShaver. Just take the System file from 8 and dump it with the Finder from 7.5 or 7.6. You have all the advanced features and goodies of 8.x like HFS+ and Open Transport 1.3 with the small footprint (especially you trim extensions!) and what I find the better UI of 7.5.

YMMV though.

Basilisk II refuses to run 6.0 as it runs only in 24-bit mode. Basilisk will always force 32-bit mode.
Silent Flamer
Master Emulator

Post by Silent Flamer »

But as far as I can remember , it supports the 32-bit IIci ROM . All other Macintosh IIs won't work . But Cat_7 is right , you should get a Quadra or Performa ROM instead . Most people go with Quadra 650 , as it has like a 100% success rate .
TomasAa
Space Cadet

Re: cannot open rom file

Post by TomasAa »

Hi,

I have got the ROM-files, but I cannot find information anywhere where to put them... (I added them in the Mac OS X file in both the GUI and the main application)

When I try to start the main file it fails, and does not give any messages whatsoever. I run Mac OS 10.6.8

Beside from this I have followed the instructions online for Mac OS X to use Basilisk 2 to load 7.5.5.

Hope to get an answer,

Best regards Thomas
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi Thomas,

We have a setup guide over here:
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/bas ... _osx_setup

It uses the two programs you can download here:
https://github.com/vasi/b2gui/downloads

You specifically need the GUI to easily set up Basilisk.

When you follow the guide, you'll come across the point where it shows you how to add the rom file etc.

Best,
Cat_7
fumihikoatom
Space Cadet

Post by fumihikoatom »

Hi Cat_7

Do I have to install Mac ROM file before starting BasliskII UI ?

I only compiled ;

mkdir /Retropie
cd /RetroPie
apt-get install git libsdl1.2-dev
git clone git://github.com/cebix/macemu.git
cd macemu/BasiliskII/src/Unix
NO_CONFIGURE=1 ./autogen.sh
./configure --enable-sdl-video --enable-sdl-audio --disable-vosf --disable-jit-compiler
make
make install

Then ;
xinit `which BasiliskII`

Error occured ;

pi@raspberrypi /Retropie/macemu $ xinit `which BasiliskII`

_XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for inet6
_XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for inet6/raspberrypi:0
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for inet6

X.Org X Server 1.12.4
Release Date: 2012-08-27
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 3.2.0-2-mx5 armv7l Debian
Current Operating System: Linux raspberrypi 3.18.14+ #793 PREEMPT Sat May 30 13:15:19 BST 2015 armv6l
Kernel command line: dma.dmachans=0x7f35 bcm2708_fb.fbwidth=1024 bcm2708_fb.fbheight=768 bcm2708.boardrev=0xd bcm2708.serial=0xe8666528 smsc95xx.macaddr=B8:27:EB:66:65:28 bcm2708_fb.fbswap=1 sdhci-bcm2708.emmc_clock_freq=250000000 vc_mem.mem_base=0x1ec00000 vc_mem.mem_size=0x20000000 dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=ttyAMA0,115200 kgdboc=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait
Build Date: 11 February 2015 09:31:17PM
xorg-server 2:1.12.4-6+deb7u6 (Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>)
Current version of pixman: 0.33.1
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sun Jun 7 15:10:40 2015
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
Basilisk II V1.0 by Christian Bauer et al.
ERROR: Cannot open ROM file.
xinit: connection to X server lost

waiting for X server to shut down Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.
patrizio
Space Cadet

Re:

Post by patrizio »

Cat_7 wrote:Hi, Welcome!

A rom file from a macII will not work. We normally use performa or quadra roms for BasiliskII. They are 1Mb in size.

Best,
Cat_7
Among 68030 roms, could that of an LCIII (1024 KB) be used with BasiliskII?
If yes, I suppose I would add system enabler 003 in the system folder 7.5.3, right?

thanks
patrizio
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

At the site of redundant robot you can download Performa and Quadra ROM files. Better use one of those (Performa ROM recommended).
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Re:

Post by adespoton »

patrizio wrote:
Cat_7 wrote:Hi, Welcome!

Best,
Cat_7
Among 68030 roms, could that of an LCIII (1024 KB) be used with BasiliskII?
If yes, I suppose I would add system enabler 003 in the system folder 7.5.3, right?

thanks
patrizio
LCIII with the enabler *should* work, but the emulator was written against the Performa and Quadra ROMs. The Enabler is mostly to enable system patches for hardware specific to the LCIII, which BII won't necessarily be emulating. That said, the LCIII was a Performa reference platform, so it'll likely be close enough not to make much of a difference (meaning you'll get few unexplainable crashes).
patrizio
Space Cadet

Re: cannot open rom file (LCIII)

Post by patrizio »

Thanks, and also to Ronald
You say Performa, OK. But it may be a 68030, 040, and even ppc, doesn't that make a clear difference?
In other words, the rom should be suited to the architecture of the processor, so it should in some way
follow it in a sense, but I really don't know, I'm not a programmer at all.

I own an LcIII 33 mhz w/math coprocessor, perfectly working, and a Q. 630 among 68k.
Host OS is win 8.1, the last BasiliskII; with system 8.1 and a Q650 rom things are more than fine,
except for some graphic glitches within a specific SW. I'm new here, f there's some interest I will tell.

Thanks again
patrizio
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

BasiliskII is developed and best tested with Performa and Quadra ROM files. There is no one-to-one relation between the ROM file that is used and the Model ID and/or processor settings chosen in BasiliskIIGUI.
patrizio
Space Cadet

Post by patrizio »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:BasiliskII is developed and best tested with Performa and Quadra ROM files. There is no one-to-one relation between the ROM file that is used and the Model ID and/or processor settings chosen in BasiliskIIGUI.
Hi Ronald, Hi adespoton

So far I've been using the rom "Mac OS ROM" that came along with the download of BII (the recommended starting version of 15.01.2010) and a Quadra 650 rom: things are very good with
system 8.1, less so with 7.5.3 or 7.5.5. (sometimes Windows 8.1 shuts BII when I copy a folder
with many, many files between two mac volumes).

I noticed that I can use system 8.1 with a MacIIci rom, which should not be possible in a real MacIIci.

Anyway, with the LCIII rom Basilisk doesn't start (same previous settings in GUI with either system versions. But I've yet to retry with the system enabler.

In the GUI I'm keeping sound, CD, and networking all disabled.

I've already set MiniVMac (system 6 and 7), SheepShaver (but only with old world rom and OS 9), and also Executor (unsuitable for me), but not yet SoftMac.

regards
patrizio
Roarke
Tinkerer

Post by Roarke »

Doesen't recognise Performa or oldworld on windows 7 ultimate, even if i remove .rom from the file name. It worked when i rename it to Mac OS ROM without .rom extension and using the GUI.
Basilisk II (2015-02-26) for Windows bundled w/ Mac OS 7.5.3
https://www.macintoshrepository.org/764 ... py-support
dosbox turbo
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

The ROM name and path on disk has to exactly match the ROM name and path in the prefs file for it to be loaded; otherwise, BII looks for "Mac OS ROM" in the default location and attempts to load that.