AMBER: Journeys Beyond Crashes in Sheepshaver Wrapper

About unsupported SheepShaver configurations, like COI (Chubby Bunny), SheepShaver Wrapper, etc.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: AMBER: Journeys Beyond Crashes in Sheepshaver Wrapper

Post by adespoton »

Out of curiosity: is there any time when someone wouldn't want to ignore illegal memory accesses? Could we make the next build have that hard-coded in?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
emendelson wrote:Actually, the SheepShaver Wrapper uses the standard Preferences pane. The only thing it writes to the prefs file automatically is the Unix root path, which it does if the Unix root is not already in the prefs file or if the path doesn't exist. Everything is completely adjustable from the Preferences Pane.
Then riven2000 should make sure that "Ignore Illegal Memory Accesses" is enabled in the Miscellaneous tab in the Preferences pane.
It is enabled by default in the SheepShaver Wrapper.
riven2000
Inquisitive Elf

Post by riven2000 »

Ok, this just keeps getting better and better...I was finally able to get AMBER to work in SSW, _BUT_ when I set the screen res to 800x600 and go to full screen, the screen goes black but the desktop window stays the same size. Tried setting it to another resolution and back - no go. :shock:
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

That's because I've set nearest/integer scaling on by default to avoid distortion in full-screen mode. Go into the MacOS.sheepvm file, edit the prefs file, and change the two scale_xxx items to false.
riven2000
Inquisitive Elf

Post by riven2000 »

Got it. Works great now. Thanks for everything!!
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

What did you do to stop the error messages?
riven2000
Inquisitive Elf

Post by riven2000 »

When I originally installed AMBER, it wasn't a fresh install, it was a copy from another machine. And the Quicktime I was using for it was 2.5 (the game is from 1996). I don't know if the fix came just from reinstalling the game, or the automatic QT 2.1 that was installed with it, or both. Anyway that and changing those screen values fixed everything, if that makes sense.

Since then I've been able to install several other games, some of which need QT 6, so I'm using two extension sets in the OS.