SheepShaver doesn't boot from Mac OS 9.cdr image

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

AlexSantos
Inquisitive Elf

SheepShaver doesn't boot from Mac OS 9.cdr image

Post by AlexSantos »

Hello,

I have sheepshaver working with 9.0.4 using the "Mac OS 9 Boot Image (120 megs)" as supplied by Redendant Robot, http://www.redundantrobot.com/sheepshaver.html. Booting from this image. I was also able to format the Virtual Mac OS 9 disk image as HFS Extended once I booted using the aformentioned 9.0.4 120MB disk image as the boot volume.

The problem
As per https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sh ... os_x_setup I went to the Macintosh Garden and downloaded the “MacOS904CD_Intl.ZIP” (http://macintoshgarden.org/sites/macint ... D_Intl.ZIP)

I decompressed the zip file and successfully created a .cdr file. Using SheepShaverPrefs I point to it but all I get is the flashing question mark disk. I double checked what it could but the issue persists.

The version of sheepshaver I am running is SheepShaver 2.5 (2019-04-01) on Majove 10.14.4

Can someone please let me know what might be wrong? Is it perhaps the Mac Garden Toast file that is causing the issue? I am pretty confident it was the right download because the filename does indeed match the document "Setting up SheepShaver for OSX/macOS on Intel Macs
(Last updated March 31, 2019)
"

Thank you in advance.

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: SheepShaver doesn't boot from Mac OS 9.cdr image

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

1. Use the latest recommended SheepShaver build, it will enable you to easily add disk images to the volumes list as CD-ROM. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7360

Edit: I see you do use the latest build. But, judging by the image you show, you use the old SheepShaverPrefs application for the settings. Better use the built-in preferences editor that is present in SheepShaver builds for more than 10 years and that is described in the setup manual.

2. I do not know what you did with the download, but after decompressing the downloaded .zip file, you get the disk image file "Mac OS 9.toast". It can be added as such to the volumes list. SheepShaver can read all kinds of image files, including .toast files.

3. If you have more than one bootable volume in the volumes list, the one that you want to boot from should be at the top of the list.

Edit:
4. Do not have "Disable CD-ROM Driver" checked in Preferences!
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:04 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Reason:  
AlexSantos
Inquisitive Elf

Post by AlexSantos »

Thank you for the reply.

Edit: I see you do use the latest build. But, judging by the image you show, you use the old SheepShaverPrefs application for the settings. Better use the built-in preferences editor that is present in SheepShaver builds for more than 10 years and that is described in the setup manual.

I did find it odd that the online 'manual' had screenshots showing the prefs app looking different from what I had. I will download it anew.

2. I do not know what you did with the download, but after decompressing the downloaded .zip file, you get the disk image file "Mac OS 9.toast". It can be added as such to the volumes list. SheepShaver can read all kinds of image files, including .toast files.

ok I will check that again as well.

3. If you have more than one bootable volume in the volumes list, the one that you want to boot from should be at the top of the list.

Oh that's good to know.

ok so late me start again with those downloads for now.

Thanks for the reply.

Edit:
4. Do not have "Disable CD-ROM Driver" checked in Preferences![/quote]

oh yes, I will do that too.
AlexSantos
Inquisitive Elf

Post by AlexSantos »

ok I now have it working as expected. I spent about a half hour searching for a Sheepshaver preferences application when I realized that there is none, that it's actually built into the latest Sheepshaver.

Frustrating to have had COI installed at one time and only ever having lived with it.

Anyway, I will now continue reading the https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sh ... os_x_setup document.

Thanks for your help.

PS I didn't have to create a CDR of the 9.0.4 Toast file that came from the Mac Garden, Sheepshaver is happy with the toast file as is.

Thanks again!