SheepShaver Preferences mangled by COI

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

AlexSantos
Inquisitive Elf

SheepShaver Preferences mangled by COI

Post by AlexSantos »

Hello

Maybe someone has some insight. I think I was not careful enough.

So here is the issue.

I once used COI (Classic on Intel) but I thought I should move over to the official SheepShaver. I had the latter working fine but then I thought I should run COI just to compare the mouse pointer tracking — yes COI is perfectly smooth but then I launched SheepShaver and realized that it just quits now. The problem is that I can't find a way to open the SheepShaver preferences dialogue because it just quits before I get a chance to reach for the menu to call it up.

I understand from something I read on github that the plist file can be simply edited but before I go that more cryptic route is there a workaround to get the preferences for SheepShaver version 2.5 (2019-04-01) on screen?
AlexSantos
Inquisitive Elf

Re: SheepShaver Preferences mangled by COI

Post by AlexSantos »

For now, I am using the script to delete the plist and will try to get the Mac ROM in the same folder as SheepShaver.app. From what I understand, the initial setup calls for this. If I am genuinely stuck I will come back but this appears to be the workaround.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Yes, both methods are documented on this site. You can either manually edit the preferences file by going to Terminal.app and typing

Code: Select all

open ~/.sheepshaver_prefs
, or run the script that should be in your SheepShaver folder that just erases that file so you can start from scratch in the graphical prefs editor.

And yes... COI works by overwriting ~/.sheepshaver_prefs with its own custom settings every time you launch it.

I get around this by a) not using COI, and b) using .sheepvm bundles that contain my ROM image, disk images, and preference file.
AlexSantos
Inquisitive Elf

Post by AlexSantos »

$ /Applications/SheepShaver/SheepShaver.app/Contents/MacOS/SheepShaver ; exit;
SheepShaver V2.5 by Christian Bauer and Mar"c" Hellwig
ERROR: Cannot open ROM file.
logout
Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.
Deleting expired sessions...none found.

[Process completed]
ok so my ROM is not liked. Ok, I think i can fix this. I killed COI :(
AlexSantos
Inquisitive Elf

Post by AlexSantos »

Thanks for the insight, I will investigate the vm method, sounds like a sandboxy kind of thing. COI was easy because there is actually a turn key solution on archive.org. Although I have a good number of physical machines and original OSs laying around, there are advantages to just run things inside a VM on my High Sierra and Majove machines.

Really apprecaite strategies 1 and 2. I've done 1 but I will certainly dig a little deeper on the second approach.
AlexSantos
Inquisitive Elf

Post by AlexSantos »

Something strange is going on.

So I have

~/Desktop/SheepShaver
and within it I have only the new world ROM from Redundant Robot, named

Mac OS ROM
and the SheepShaver app version 2.5 (2019-04-01).

I killed the

~/.sheepshaver_prefs
I launch SheepShaver, a new

~/.sheepshaver_prefs
is created but SheepShaver just quits.

Isn't what I have the bare minimum to allow me to get a flashing question mark screen — enough to allow for the preferences dialogue to open?

A little confused at this rate so I will give the solo prefs app a whirl — http://www.emaculation.com/sheepshaver/ ... rPrefs.zip
AlexSantos
Inquisitive Elf

Post by AlexSantos »

The 'solo prefs app' as I referred to it, rightly called SheepShaverPrefs.app, saved the day. Back up and running.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

AlexSantos wrote:

~/Desktop/SheepShaver
and within it I have only the new world ROM from Redundant Robot, named

Mac OS ROM
and the SheepShaver app version 2.5 (2019-04-01)
- The download from Redundant Robot is newworld86.rom.zip
- After decompression you get the file newworld86.rom
- Rename that file Mac OS ROM without the .rom extension!

Note: After renaming the file the .rom extension may still be there, now hidden in the Finder. You can check that (and remove it if it is still there) in the Finder Info panel for the file (select the file and hit command-I).
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: