setting desktop size in SheepShaver

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: setting desktop size in SheepShaver

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I will be back later. It is dinner time here in Europe.

In the meantime, copy the image file over to your new machine, maybe using a USB stick.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Did you copy the MacOS9.dsk disk image file to your new Mac?

In a PM I sent you a download link for a prepared folder that you can make into a SheepShaver Virtual Machine (VM).

1. You already have the latest SheepShaver build (1 April 2019) on your Mac. It can be in any location that seems logical to you. With a VM you do not interact directly with the application itself. Make sure it is the only instance of SheepShaver application on your machine!

2. Get the downloaded folder. I named it "SheepShaverVM904", but you can rename it to something else if you wish.

3. Put the MacOS9.dsk image file inside the folder.

4. Now add the extension .sheepvm to the folder name. If you did not rename the folder, it will now be named "SheepShaverVM904.sheepvm". You will notice that the folder will turn into a package with a SheepShaver VM icon. You can place it in any location that seems convenient.

5. Double-clicking the VM will launch SheepShaver and start the emulated machine.

If everything works as intended, better get rid of the "Classic" application.

You can change settings in preferences. While SheepShaver is running, choose "Preferences..." from the SheepShaver menu to open the "Virtual Machine Settings" pane. You may want to change the window size or choose a different shared folder. The shared folder is now set to /Users/Shared/.

If you want to change advanced settings manually (see setup manual) you can do so in the "prefs" file inside the VM package. Right-click (or control-click) on the VM icon and choose "Show Package Contents" from the contextual menu. You can open and edit the "prefs" file in TextEdit. Edit that file only when SheepShaver is not running.
dickplotz
Inquisitive Elf

Post by dickplotz »

Where will I find the PM with the link?
dickplotz
Inquisitive Elf

Post by dickplotz »

Oh, I see where that is.
dickplotz
Inquisitive Elf

Post by dickplotz »

I've downloaded the folder from the link in your PM and put the disk image file in it. Double clicking the VM icon opens SheepShaver as before. But when I change the desktop file to 1600X1200 in preferences, it doesn't change the size of the window that opens. The preferences change sticks, but it doesn't affect the window size.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Go to the Monitors control panel in OS 9 and change the size there.
dickplotz
Inquisitive Elf

Post by dickplotz »

Ha! That is excellent!

Thank you for all your help, and chag sameach.
dickplotz
Inquisitive Elf

Post by dickplotz »

One more question. Apparently the package that must be opened in order to activate SheepShaver, since it's not an application itself, can't be placed in the Dock. Is there a practical alternative that will allow ready availability of SheepShaver?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

You can place the VM at the right side of the Dock where folders and files can be added. Drag the icon to the place in the Dock where you want it, for instance directly next to the separator between the applications at the left and folders and files at the right.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason:  
dickplotz
Inquisitive Elf

Post by dickplotz »

Sure enough, it did stay there. Thanks.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

What I do is have a folder in the dock at the right side, and all my emulators (apps and bundles) reside in that folder. Makes for easy navigation and launching. Of course, I've also wrapped all my bundles in application stubs so they all show up on the dock in the expected place -- but that's not needed for regular use.