Netscape 3 under System 7.6.1 crashes BasiliskII

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

swapjim
Student Driver

Netscape 3 under System 7.6.1 crashes BasiliskII

Post by swapjim »

My goal is to run Netscape 3.x under System 7.6.1. Every Netscape 3 copy I tried (3.0, 3.0 Gold, 3.01, 3.04, etc) crashes BasiliskII.

It'll open a couple of pages and then boom, crash. After the first crash, the next time I'll try to open a page it'll crash again. I have Java and JavaScript disabled and I'm trying to view system7today.com and old websites from web.archive.org (I copy-paste the links to avoid the Archive's UI which relies on JavaScript code that Netscape can't interpret).

I'm on Win7 64-bit. I followed the guide and run BasiliskII 20-02-2015 using the included ROM. I installed System 7.6.1 from an ISO I got in Win World PC.

Am I using a corrupted OS installer? Do I need another ROM? Any ideas?

Just in case it helps, Netscape 4 also crashes.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Netscape 3 under System 7.6.1 crashes BasiliskII

Post by adespoton »

Do the 68k ones from here work for you?
http://main.system7today.com/otherbrowsers.html

Also, it's possible you may need to try a different ROM, or fiddle with your preferences.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Internet access has been unstable for Basilisk and SheepShaver in Windows for a long time now.
If you find a stable solution, please let us know.

Best,
Cat_7
swapjim
Student Driver

Post by swapjim »

Cat_7 wrote:Internet access has been unstable for Basilisk and SheepShaver in Windows for a long time now.

If you find a stable solution, please let us know.
I could try a few things. I need more info. It doesn't crash under Linux and macOS? How about WinXP/2000/NT/98?
adespoton wrote:Do the 68k ones from here work for you?
http://main.system7today.com/otherbrowsers.html
All the browsers I got from system7today.com crashed BasiliskII. I disabled JavaScript and CSS before entering any website. The website that crashed the browsers is one from 1996.

Would be great if someone could test that website under Linux or Mac and tell me if they get a crash too. It's in English, try to browse around, click a few links for a minute or two.

I tried MacIRC too. The app crashed after a while but didn't take down the emulator down.
adespoton wrote:Also, it's possible you may need to try a different ROM, or fiddle with your preferences.
Any hints as to what ROM (hash too, if possible) and what preferences? Does it make sense to disable sound, change the display settings and other irrelevant things, or should I focus on CPU, ROM, RAM, and Slirp/Router?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Tap networking might be more reliable, but it is a bit of a hassle to set up.
There is also the option to use the BasiliskII Ethernet driver, but that only runs on XP and downwards (32 bit).

I haven't tried both for a long time now.

Trying the older Basilisk142 might also be an option. Note that it uses different settings, so best to run it in a separate folder.

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

swapjim wrote:Any hints as to what ROM (hash too, if possible) and what preferences? Does it make sense to disable sound, change the display settings and other irrelevant things, or should I focus on CPU, ROM, RAM, and Slirp/Router?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =840977089 for the appropriate ROMs to test.

Sound shouldn't be an issue, neither should display settings. It's likely down to ROM and networking settings. I seem to recall Tun/Tap being more stable than SLIRP, even though it's trickier to set up. We've got some people who frequent these forums who've been running a SheepShaver / Tun/Tap configuration for years hosting a server, and it seems stable; I'd hope some of that trickles down to BII as well.
swapjim
Student Driver

Post by swapjim »

This is great! A link to the tun/tap howto?
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Your post above indicates that you have tested it, but I must point out that iCab was generally pretty stable for me when I last went online in Basilisk II (for Windows)... which was a very long time ago.
Last edited by ClockWise on Tue May 21, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

swapjim wrote:This is great! A link to the tun/tap howto?
The funniest thing is that I can't find the Tun/Tap documentation on the Wiki or in the forums, and yet I know it's there somewhere, because it's what I used in the past to set up Tun/Tap....
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

Under https://emaculation.com/doku.php/pearpc ... n_and_help there’s a link called “Networking and Internet Connection Sharing Guide”. It refers to a guide for PearPC, but the beginning of that guide explains how to set up a tap interface on Windows.

I suppose from there it’s all about setting the right values in Basilisk II which shouldn’t be much different than step 1 and 5 & onwards in the AppleTalk for SheepShaver/Basilisk II for OS X guide.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Yes; the BII and SheepShaver Tun/Tap guides are identical. I thought that we had that tap interface stuff rolled into the AppleTalk guide for Windows, but I guess not.
swapjim
Student Driver

Post by swapjim »

Seems simple enough. I will be ecstatic if it gives me networking! Going to try and tell you the results. Thanks a lot!