Make Apps Larger in SheepShaver

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

CatMorgan
Space Cadet

Make Apps Larger in SheepShaver

Post by CatMorgan »

I have SS set up on my Mac Pro 2012 running High Sierra. I have SS set to open at 1024x768, cause I have a nice big screen and might as well use the real estate? The problem is when I start some apps like Diablo, it shrinks the window back down to the default, and it's really small. Is there a way to make the apps open in the same size window? I'm not sure if this is a SS setting or a MacOS 9 setting.

Thanks!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Make Apps Larger in SheepShaver

Post by adespoton »

This would actually be a High Sierra/SheepShaver setting: old games only displayed at a fixed resolution. To get it bigger on your screen, you need to lower the SheepShaver resolution (likely to 800x600) and then display it full screen on your host. You'll probably want to enable integer scaling to make it work, with scale_integer true
scale_nearest true
CatMorgan
Space Cadet

Post by CatMorgan »

I was afraid of that :( I was hoping to use SS to stream old Mac games on Twitch, but going fullscreen does weird things to OBS (I tend to lose the me-cam and it mucks with the stream size.)

Back to the drawing board!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Why not just use the macOS magnification feature to do 800x600 at x2 resolution? Or does Twitch automatically downsample that?
CatMorgan
Space Cadet

Post by CatMorgan »

That was it! It looks good, now having sound issues, should I create a separate thread for that? (SS won't output to the headphones, but everything else on the Pro is going out to the 'phones.)

OBS isn't grabbing sound from the virtual machine, but I think that's an OBS problem I have to solve.

Thanks!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Did you enable sound in SheepShaver?
From the setup manual:
Enable sound in SheepShaver
In "Sound" control panel, select "built-in" for the output device. In Mac OS 8.5/8.6, and sometimes in 8.1, the Sound control panel is installed in the "Apple Extras" folder. You can use it there to select the built-in output device. In Mac OS 9 the Sound control panel is again installed with the other control panels and can be accessed in the Apple menu. If the "Apple Audio Extension" happens to be installed in the Extensions folder, remove it.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

If you're still having sound problems, try installing SoundFlower, and route all the sound through that. OBS shouldn't have any problem getting a feed from SoundFlower, and I know SheepShaver can output to it, because that's how I do my recordings :)