Mouse click needs a kind of delay?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

pierrespartan
Student Driver

Mouse click needs a kind of delay?

Post by pierrespartan »

Hi,
I installed Sheepshaver on my Mac (Mojave 10.14.1). I only experience one (a bit annoying) problem:
When I click using my MBP trackpad or using my Magic Mouse 2, I always need to press the click button during a very small delay (something like 0.5 seconds or maybe a bit less) otherwise the click is not taken into account if too fast (like pressing and releasing just quickly then with no "perceptible" delay).
In other hands I have to make a kind of latency before each click release.

Could this problem be solved in the parameters of Sheepshaver for instance?

I thank you a lot in advance,
Best Regards,
Pierre
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Mouse click needs a kind of delay?

Post by adespoton »

I'm not having that issue on my 2015 MBP with force touch trackpad. Which version of SheepShaver are you using? Which OS are you running inside it? Are you using JIT?

This is most likely a config issue, not an emulator issue.
pierrespartan
Student Driver

Post by pierrespartan »

Thanks a lot for your answer.
I am using SheepShaver 2.5, with Mac OS 9.0.4 (installed from New Rom Intl if I well remember).
And I also use a 2015 MPB with force touch trackpad as well.

What is JIT? Looks like I don't use it.
pierrespartan
Student Driver

Post by pierrespartan »

I downloaded also the keycode file because I have a French keyboard.
I don't know if there are also some mouse-related parameters in that file?
pierrespartan
Student Driver

Post by pierrespartan »

So I checked on internet what if JIT and checked in the parameters of SheepShaver.
JIT is ENABLED.
pierrespartan
Student Driver

Post by pierrespartan »

I just figured out one thing:
Looks like the right click is taken into account as left click, and with no delay on my Magic mouse. The same on the trackpad.

I am wondering if there is a way to enable left click with no delay?
pierrespartan
Student Driver

[SOLVED] Mouse click needs a kind of delay?

Post by pierrespartan »

Ok I found the culprit.

On my Magic Mouse, it is not evident but left click is really on the left edge, right click on the right of course, and every place between will be considered as the scroll wheel in Sheep Shaver (maybe).

So every time I clicked it was recognised as a wheel click. Now I place my finder close to the left edge and everything is fine!

Thank you again for your help.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

<erases paragraphs of suggested steps>

Glad you fixed it -- I was going to try and replicate your setup as my next step ;)
pierrespartan
Student Driver

Post by pierrespartan »

Thank you.

After other tests it is not easy to get a proper left click from the left side of the magic mouse. Sometimes it works, sometimes it needs the delay.

But right edge is alway working well as a left click, with no delay.

This is ok but a bit annoying as you can imagine, my first think is pressing on the left and not on the right.

I am wondering if this could be solved in a next update of SheepShaver.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

This is something that needs to be fixed in your mouse / mouse driver; SheepShaver's just taking the inputs it's getting, as it gets them.

Testing with my magic mouse shows I don't have this issue; you might want to change the settings on your mouse to adjust sensitivity and click area.
pierrespartan
Student Driver

Post by pierrespartan »

Do you have Magic Mouse 1 or 2?
If I remember well the first version has less sensitivity option than the 2nd one.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I've got the A1296 magic mouse; that's probably the first. But the sensitivity is adjustable in the mouse prefs.
pierrespartan
Student Driver

Post by pierrespartan »

Thanks.
Changing the sensitivity didn't solve the issue.

Maybe the 2nd version, with more options leads to some confusing inputs for SheepShaver. I don't want to change every preferences of my Magic Mouse, I will consider buying another more 'standard' mouse when using Mac OS 9 ;-)
MetalSnake
Granny Smith

Post by MetalSnake »

adespoton wrote:I've got the A1296 magic mouse; that's probably the first. But the sensitivity is adjustable in the mouse prefs.
The first one has user replaceable batteries, the second one has a lightning connector at the bottom(!) to charge the mouse.
pierrespartan
Student Driver

Post by pierrespartan »

Right, the mine has the connector.
tcs
Space Cadet

Post by tcs »

I'm experiencing a very similar problem with the trackpad on my MacBook Pro. If I click normally, SheepShaver doesn't register the click. I must press down on the trackpad and linger for a while before lifting up, and then the click is registered normally.

I am running a fresh copy from here: http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/macos9osx.html

This is a 2016 15-inch MacBook Pro running Sierra (10.12.6).
pierrespartan
Student Driver

Post by pierrespartan »

Do you know if the latest build from 2019 May solved this problem?
tcs
Space Cadet

Post by tcs »

I downloaded the latest version, and indeed its creation date is May 21. The behavior seems unchanged.

The key to having a click register seems to be that the click need to be held down for a certain minimum amount of time to be recognized. I routinely click faster than that.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I wonder how many experience this issue. It seems to occur with only trackpad or Magic Mouse 2. But even then, one would expect more users to report the issue.

I myself use the Magic Mouse 1, now in Mojave, and I never experienced this problem. Mouse clicks work in SheepShaver as they do in the host macOS. I use my right hand. I always have both my index finger and middle finger on the mouse, the index finger just left of the middle, the middle finger just right of the middle. A click with with both index finger and middle finger touching the mouse results in a left click and when I lift my index finger while clicking, I get a right-click. I don't need to click slowly nor do I need to introduce some kind of delay while clicking.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

The only time I've experienced this issue was using a Magic Trackpad; using the force touch trackpad on multiple generations of MacBook(Pro) hasn't been a problem for me, and neither has using the Magic Mouse 1. I haven't had a Magic Mouse 2 to test with.
pierrespartan
Student Driver

Post by pierrespartan »

Well... regarding the Magic Mouse 2 behaviour, I've also seen the following:

* If I click (left or right) with a finger on the 'Touch' area (where we expect to have the finger when you click btw), it needs a click-delay to be taken into account, as described in this thread.

* However if I click (left or right) with the finger on the very very edge of the Magic Mouse 2 (so somewhere where there is no 'Touch' area), it works fine and is instantaneous!

So the problem should really come from the impact of having a finger (or any part of your hand I guess) on the Touch surface when you click.

-> I didn't try but maybe putting a piece of paper between the mouse and the finger (to avoid Touch to be detected) should solve the problem (well not really solve but at least confirm that behaviour).

I don't have Sheepshaver installed for now but if someone can try this quick experiment and give a feedback ;-) (using Magic Mouse 2)
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

What happens if you disable the scroll feature in SheepShaver? I suspect that this may have to do with the delay.
pierrespartan
Student Driver

Post by pierrespartan »

Well good idea I'll give it a try later (I need to reinstall Sheepshaver).
Thanks!