Supported ROM Types

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

harveyclayton
Space Cadet

Supported ROM Types

Post by harveyclayton »

I just tried getting SheepShaver working with the ROM from my PowerMac 7300 and it says it is unsupported.

I know the ROM isn't bad. Is there an official list of ROMS that do work?

`BoJ
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Supported ROM Types

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Better try the rom files that you can find on the net. When you search for redundant robot sheepshaver, you will find two files. The old world rom file will work with SheepShaver for System 7.5.3 through MacOS 9.0.4, the new world rom file is advised for MacOS 8.5 through 9.0.4.
See also the setup guides in our wiki.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

If you want more in-depth details, you can look here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... Dk7QDyKPY/

[edit] and there's still 4 ROMs on there that haven't been verified to work/not work with SheepShaver, so feel free to fill them in if you try them :)
kataetheweirdo
Master Emulator

Post by kataetheweirdo »

The fastest way to tell is to open up the ROM in a hex editor and go straight to 0x30D064 (or 0x30C064 if you have an older ROM). Sheepshaver checks the string there to determine if the ROM is supported.

As for which ROMS are supported, I compiled a list for all of the official Apple Power Mac ROMs I could find.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

https://github.com/sentient06/MacROMan is also useful -- it's a clickable macOS App that contains all the data from my spreadsheet. There's some test data in the github repo too.