Apple Works on Sheep Shaver (Chubby Bunny)

About unsupported SheepShaver configurations, like COI (Chubby Bunny), SheepShaver Wrapper, etc.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

MitchellMartin
Student Driver

Apple Works on Sheep Shaver (Chubby Bunny)

Post by MitchellMartin »

Hi guys, wondering if anybody can help me figure out how to use AppleWorks on SheepShaver.

A few years back, with the help of Chubby Bunny, I got SheepShaver running on my MacBook Pro (the mid-2012 model, last one with a CD drive, which I purchased new from the Apple Store in July 2016).

SheepShaver has been fine, it runs the programs I absolutely wanted it to use, but lately I've come to realize that I'd really like to use AppleWorks 6. I tried just copying the program over via an external drive, but it wouldn't recognize it, grumbled something about how it wasn't an OSX computer. (That's SheepShaver grumbling. The MacBook whines that it AppleWorks iss too old of an OSX program to be read).

So, as I still have the Apple Works installation disk, I tried copying that over, but it wouldn't work. Then, however, I noticed that copying the thing over didn't copy the "U.S. and Canadian Installation File," so I copied that item specifically, and it did open and begin to install, but it stops with an error message that says QuickTime isn't installed and I should install it from the AppleWorks disk first.

Yet despite the AppleWorks installer's smug self-assurance that there's a QuickTime installer on the AppleWorks disk, I don't see one.

It's also lying to me, there's a QuickTime 4.1.2 on the SheepShaver "Classic HD" disk. I downloaded Quicktime 5 and 6, but they won't install, says they can't be opened because the file that created them is nowhere to be found.

I've read you're supposed to scrub all traces of old versions of QuickTime before trying to install a new one, but I'm hesitant to do that because if they still won't install then I"m QT-less. I live in terror of having to re-install SheepShaver.

BTW, I don't really like reinstalling and upgrading things, and I'm happily running the MacBook on El Capitan. I recently bought a MacBook Air for another purpose, it was already loaded with Mojave, and I really don't need that kind of negativity in my life.

One other possibly salient fact: I have about 3 G3 computers, all with AppleWorks on them, which I haven't fired up in at least a year, but one or more of them should work in case I need to copy something from a System 9 environment. (THey're all 9.2.2.)

Thanks for reading, any help would be appreciated.

Oh, and yes, I know I have Claris on the MacBook, but AppleWorks was a significant improvement, I have need of the Word Processing and Drawing/Painting programs.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Apple Works on Sheep Shaver

Post by adespoton »

You should be able to copy over the application and the Claris folders and extensions from the System Folder to make it work.

Otherwise, I'd suggest doing a clean install of OS 9 and then run the AppleWorks installer. When it's done, you can copy over the required files to your regular disk image to make it work.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

AppleWorks 6 runs fine here in MacOS 9.0.4 with QT 4.1.2 in SheepShaver. I installed it from the original installer + updaters. But that is on a regular SheepShaver setup, not on Chubby Bunny COI.

I do not know from where you could try to copy the AppleWorks files and folders. Note that there are different AppleWorks 6 versions for MacOS and for MacOSX, both in the same installer. I suppose that the installer will install the appropriate version. Or maybe the application is some sort of hybrid MacOS/MacOSX application. The latest version for MacOS is 6.2.8, the latest version for MacOSX is 6.2.9.

Apart from the AppleWorks 6 folder in the Applications folder, I see an AppleWorks folder in the Application Support folder in the System Folder. There are no Claris folders or files and no extensions installed with AppleWorks, maybe except for CarbonLib. It could be that you need CarbonLib extension for AppleWorks 6.

Edit: Note that QuickTime 4.1.2 is the latest version that is compatible with SheepShaver. You should not install a later QT version!
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:52 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason:  
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

As this is about Chubby Bunny COI, not about a regular SheepShaver setup, I will move this topic later today to the "Other SheepShaver configurations" subforum.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
MitchellMartin
Student Driver

Post by MitchellMartin »

Thanks guys, I got it to work, albeit in an unintuitive way.

First, I found there actually WAS a QuickTime installer on the AppleWorks disk, in the "Apple Extras" folder.

Then I though of making a disk image. I tried and it ran through the program but told me it had failed. However, there was a disk visible in the shared/Unix folder and it had the QT installer. (QT 5)

QT installed (had to be on the Hard Disk because it wanted a System Folder), AppleWorks installed (had to be on the 1.2 gig storage disk because there wasn't room on the HD), it crashed upon opening the first time, but then worked fine.

So, I'm up and running. Thanks again.