Tomb Raider III crashes SheepShaver

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Vox
Inquisitive Elf

Tomb Raider III crashes SheepShaver

Post by Vox »

Not sure if I should start a new thread about this, so I ask here. I created a .cdr file from the Tomb Raider III CD and I installed the game in Mac OS 8. Everything went smoothly and the game setup launched normally, letting me set the resolution and refresh rate to the values seen in the monitor control panel. No problem there. The game also launched normally but upon arriving at the starting screen (after the initial cinematic scenes) it crashed SheepShaver. I tried many times the same and each time I had the same crash. Re-installing the game made no difference whatsoever.

Should I forget about TR III under SheepShaver? By the way TR II works very well and I prefer its graphics (even though pixelated) over its modern macOS port.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moderator edit: Started new topic for this post
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: Tomb Raider III crashes SheepShaver

Post by 24bit »

TRIII from Macintoshgarden crashes on my side just the same.
Mojave 10.14.6, SheepShaver 2.5, MacOS 8.6 or 9.0.4.
http://macintoshgarden.org/games/tomb-raider-iii

The good news, the game is running with Qemu:
Experimental build with screamer audio and altivec support.
Lets hope that this will work on your side too.
Vox
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Vox »

24bit wrote:TRIII from Macintoshgarden crashes on my side just the same.
Mojave 10.14.6, SheepShaver 2.5, MacOS 8.6 or 9.0.4.
http://macintoshgarden.org/games/tomb-raider-iii
I have the original TR III CD that I bought back at the time. Surprisingly it still works. I don't know if that makes any difference.
24bit wrote: The good news, the game is running with Qemu:
What is Qemu? Never heard about it before.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Glad it works for you Vox!
Maybe I stumbled into a Quicktime incompatibility (again), as the game was reported working with SheepShaver.

In case your CDs differ from the CD images uploaded to Macintoshgarden,
you might consider adding them to the Tomb Raider III page linked above.
Like this site here, Macintoshgarden is ad free and lacks any donation buttons.
Vox
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Vox »

This is very interesting. So, I can even run older versions of Mac OS X. Does Classic work under Qemu?
Vox
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Vox »

24bit wrote:Glad it works for you Vox!
Perhaps I created some confusion here. I mean that the CD works as a storage media, not that I had any success in running TR III. I had in the past CDs and DVDs failing and becoming unreadable, which leads to data loss of course. Fortunately, this happened to me only two or three times so far.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Vox wrote:
This is very interesting. So, I can even run older versions of Mac OS X. Does Classic work under Qemu?
Yes, it does. You can run 10.4.11 with 9.2.2 on a separate image, and 10.4.11 will find it and use it to launch Classic apps.

Qemu supports Mac OS 9.0.4 through OS X 10.5.6 out of the box, and supports OS X Server 1.2v3, the DP releases, and OS X Public Beta with some minor setup tweaks. It's all in the Qemu section of the discussion board.

I guess I could also take this opportunity to plug https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 2nWC9_t2w/ again :)
Vox
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Vox »

adespoton wrote: Qemu supports Mac OS 9.0.4 through OS X 10.5.6 out of the box, and supports OS X Server 1.2v3, the DP releases, and OS X Public Beta with some minor setup tweaks. It's all in the Qemu section of the discussion board.
I (think that I still) have the install disks from a black Macbook Core 2 Duo. The OS at that time was Mac OS X 10.5. Will such disks work or do I need the retail version?

Any chance for Tomb Raider Anniversary (2007) to run in this setup (Qemu + Leopard)? If I am not mistaken, Apple will complete its 64-bit transition this autumn and therefore all 32-bit applications, including such great games, will suddenly stop working. So, Qemu may be the last resort to rescue the older Tomb Raider games.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I guess it will run with Leopard in Qemu if it doesn't require graphics acceleration, but it will be so slow it will be useless.

Best,
Cat_7
Vox
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Vox »

Cat_7 wrote:I guess it will run with Leopard in Qemu if it doesn't require graphics acceleration, but it will be so slow it will be useless.
It is a pity, such a game really needs graphics acceleration.

But now I am wondering about TR III. I remember quite clearly that it relies on OpenGL. So that one also needs graphics acceleration. Is this perhaps one of the reasons it crashes under ShepShaver?