Game "Vikings" crashes SheepShaver on start

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Fingon
Space Cadet

Game "Vikings" crashes SheepShaver on start

Post by Fingon »

Hello,
I am trying to run the Win/Mac game Vikings (1998) on emulated Mac using the SheepShaver.

Host: Windows 10 64bit
Guest: Mac OS 9.0.4
Sheepshaver Version: (2015? Started with the recommended compilation and added two newer versions)
Have both original CDs and ISOs

(The game is a bitch that uses 16bit installer and a quicktime. Running on Win10? Forget it. Emulated WinXP under VirtualBox? It starts, but doesn't show any videos and claims there is no CD in the drive. Emulating under Windows 98SE and 95 is extremely slow and the sound stutters a lot. I have tried to install it under Windows 3 and dosbox but the installation is interrupted after 22% looking for some Quicktime file in a location that exists but the folder is empty. The file exists in the installation folder but is empty.)

AAANYWAY, I thought I might have better luck trying to run it on emulated Mac, first on Basilisk, then (after several wasted hours) I was able to install MacOS9 and in it the game itself.

However, it crashes several seconds after starts, no intro movie, no error message.

After scouring the web, I managed to enable sounds, changed the color depth to Thousands like the game apparently requires. My game manual doesn't contain any troubleshooting section and I was unable to find any logs that could point me where the problem might lie.

The only thing that comes to mind that maybe the volume could be bigger (I have set it for 500 MB and there are still over 200 MB free)

What follows are the prefenrences of the SheepShaver. Any help or suggestion (that doesn't involve getting a new laptop:-) would be appreciated. Thanks!

disk C:\Games\SheepShaver\MacOS9.hvf
disk C:\Vik\Vikings_CD1.iso
cdrom D:\
extfs
screen win/1024/768
windowmodes 3
screenmodes 63
seriala COM1
serialb COM2
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 536870912
frameskip 0
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui false
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv true
ignoreillegal false
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
ignoresegv true
idlewait true
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
enableextfs true
debugextfs false
extdrives CDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
pollmedia true
etherpermanentaddress true
ethermulticastmode 0
routerenabled false
ftp_port_list 21
portfile0 C:\B2TEMP0.OUT
portfile1 C:\B2TEMP1.OUT
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Game "Vikings" crashes SheepShaver on start

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The game seems to want to install Quicktime 3 and some other software. SheepShaver works best with Quicktime 4.12.

I tried the game with Qemu and I declined installing Quicktime after the game itself was installed. I needed to set the resolution/color depth to 640x480 / thousands before I could get mouse control.
Did you set the resolution to the suggested size?

At least one of your settings could be changed:
ignoreillegal true

Please see if this helps in any way.

Best,
Cat_7
Fingon
Space Cadet

Post by Fingon »

I have changed the resolution to 640x480 and set ignoreillegal to true. My feeling is that it takes longer now before it crashes, but it crashes anyway.

The Quicktime - I don't recall it installed after the game, then again, I am not used to working wit Mac in the first place (that it shows the number of installed files but not their name...). I have looked in the Applications folder and have seen only one set of files (again, no idea where it installs on Mac, if it is possible to have two different versions installed nor how to actually delete it).

Later tonight I want to make a fresh install of the system and take note what the game installs. Will post then/ or edit this reply.

Thanks for your time!
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

Fingon wrote:(The game is a bitch that uses 16bit installer and a quicktime. Running on Win10? Forget it. Emulated WinXP under VirtualBox? It starts, but doesn't show any videos and claims there is no CD in the drive. Emulating under Windows 98SE and 95 is extremely slow and the sound stutters a lot. I have tried to install it under Windows 3 and dosbox but the installation is interrupted after 22% looking for some Quicktime file in a location that exists but the folder is empty. The file exists in the installation folder but is empty.)
I applaud your tenacity! May I suggest BoxedWine?
http://www.boxedwine.org/

As for DOSBox, if you're really determined, I would suggest booting from a hard drive image instead of trying to mount directories.
Fingon
Space Cadet

Post by Fingon »

An update (the previous reply hasn't been approved yet) - I have created a bigger disk (1000 MB), installed the OS9, put sound as built, thousands of colors, seen the readme for the first time (it describes mostly issues with the lack of memory which is however set on 512 ... not sure of what, kb or MB) and installed the game again (sorry about the confusing babbling about the installer not showing inkstalled files, it does). I have interrupted the installation of Quicktime, tried to run it... it took at least 10 seconds and then it crashed again...

I wonder if it would help to delete (somehow) the pre-installed quicktime and install the provided lower version instead.

OR, if I should try to get a bootable ISO of MacOS7...
Jorpho wrote:I applaud your tenacity! May I suggest BoxedWine?
I have heard about Wine, not sure what's BoxedWine.
Jorpho wrote: As for DOSBox, if you're really determined, I would suggest booting from a hard drive image instead of trying to mount directories.
I have mounted ISOs as a CD disk, not as a folder. The installer acts in a strange way. Then again, the whole CD of both Vikings and Crusader have highly unusual structure of folders.
I got lucky with Crusader as, in addition to a box set I got from ebay, I found a one-click installation that uses Dosboxed Win3. I have cannibalized the packages and tried to use it with ISOs of Vikings instead. I am slowly ready to give up and leave it for another time, when I can finally afford a better machine (should happen one and half years ago, instead a baby came:-P).
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Fingon wrote:The Quicktime - I don't recall it installed after the game, then again, I am not used to working wit Mac in the first place (that it shows the number of installed files but not their name...). I have looked in the Applications folder and have seen only one set of files (again, no idea where it installs on Mac, if it is possible to have two different versions installed nor how to actually delete it).
The relevant QuickTime files are installed in the "Extensions" and "Control Panels" folders in the System Folder. When you open the Extensions Manager control panel (from the Apple menu > Control Panels), you will see a list of installed extensions and control panels with version numbers.

Installing a later version will simply upgrade QuickTime, replacing the earlier version. Installing an earlier version over an existing later version may result in a mixed installation as later versions often install more files. That is why one should first manually remove all QuickTime related files before installing an earlier version.
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

Fingon wrote:OR, if I should try to get a bootable ISO of MacOS7...
I'm not sure such a thing exists – or at least, not for Sheepshaver.
Jorpho wrote:I applaud your tenacity! May I suggest BoxedWine?
I have heard about Wine, not sure what's BoxedWine.
Yes, that's why I provided the link. :???:
Jorpho wrote:As for DOSBox, if you're really determined, I would suggest booting from a hard drive image instead of trying to mount directories.
I have mounted ISOs as a CD disk, not as a folder.
Yes, but you mounted your Windows 3.1 installation from a folder, right? It is possible to use bootable hard drive images with DOSBox instead, though this is rarely done except when unusually precise emulation is required.
Fingon
Space Cadet

Post by Fingon »

Boxedwine - I have downloaded it and tried to run the two provided games and they worked. However, as I have almost zero experience with linux (I have once installed some user-friendly distro in Virtualbox) and that thing doesn't have a gui and I don't know the syntax and suddenly I am googling how to mount an iso in a wine.... that's the way to hell:-P

It's a pity the game needs a PowerPC, otherwise I would be fine with the BasiliskII.

Anyway, I have found the Extensions manager, disabled everything what had a Quicktime, performed a reboot (some new folders were created under the name extensions disabled) - NOT SURE if it counts as an uninstall though, possibli not - and I have installed the previous version of the Quicktime supplied with the game... and it crashed again.

Does the MacOS9 create any logs? Any way how to see why it crashed?

About the Win3 booting, yes, the Win3 is preinstalled and the Dosbox boots it from the folder. I am aware of the command "MOUNT" and its many parameters but so far I am in the dark of what you actually mean by that. While I started on 3.11 and got my share of natively run DOS, I am still only a slightly educated user that knows only few commands...
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

As said earlier:

The game runs fine when using our Qemu build with sound support and Mac OS 9.2.

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Fingon wrote:Anyway, I have found the Extensions manager, disabled everything what had a Quicktime, performed a reboot (some new folders were created under the name extensions disabled) - NOT SURE if it counts as an uninstall though, possibli not
Extensions are disabled by moving them to the disabled folder. It is not the same as uninstalling, but as long as the disabled files are not enabled again (= moved back to the Extensions folder), the functional result is the same.