Window resizing problem in SheepShaver

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

emendelson
Forum All-Star

Window resizing problem in SheepShaver

Post by emendelson »

A user of one of my SheepShaver based applications reported this.

Install TouchBase Pro in SheepShaver (under MacOS 8.6 or 9.04):

https://www.macintoshrepository.org/235 ... pro-cd-4-2

Open one of the sample files. You can't resize the window by dragging on its corner, as you can with any other window.

Install the same program in BasiliskII (I used System 7.6.1) and the window is easily resizable. Apparently this was not a problem in older SheepShaver versions (though I haven't checked) or in a G3 PowerBook running MacOS 9.x.

Is there a fix for this?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Window resizing problem in SheepShaver

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

emendelson wrote:Apparently this was not a problem in older SheepShaver versions (though I haven't checked)
Any reliable reports that this was not a problem in earlier SheepShaver versions and, if so, in which SheepShaver versions?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
emendelson wrote:Apparently this was not a problem in older SheepShaver versions (though I haven't checked)
Any reliable reports that this was not a problem in earlier SheepShaver versions and, if so, in which SheepShaver versions?
Good question. I tested this in a 2013 build that I made, and the same problem occurs in that version of SheepShaver. I looked again at my informant's message, and he says that he was able to resize the window on an older version of SheepShaver running in High Sierra. He has the problem in Mojave with the current version. I'll experiment further.

EDIT: The same problem occurs in the 2013 build in a Sierra system (in VMware). I think my informant may misremember that he simply maximized the window. But it would be interesting to know whether resizing was a problem on real hardware. Time to get out the old Pismo...
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Ignore all this. I tried it out in Classic in Tiger on an old G4 PowerBook. The window won't resize there either - it will only maximize. Apologies for time-wasting.

EDIT: And it won't resize on a Pismo running MacOS 9.2.2. So I apologize again for wasting time...
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

And the solution to the problem is to make a change in the Preferences, Miscellaneous menu of TouchBase Pro, and either hide the alphabetical tabs or place them at the top of the window. My informant seems to have forgotten that he had done this in earlier version of SheepShaver, and assumed that SheepShaver itself was the problem.

Apologies again for time-wasting.