Trouble installing/running quicktime

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

soupboy53
Space Cadet

Trouble installing/running quicktime

Post by soupboy53 »

A program i want to download requires quicktime to run, however when i try to run quicktime after installation i get this message:

When i click "update" i get this message

I've tried using the Quicktime updater in the quicktime folder and though it say's it successfully updated, i still get the same messgaes when trying to open it.

I know Sheepshaver only runs up to quicktime 4, which is the version im trying to run.

I'm not sure how to fix this. sorry i am very new
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Trouble installing/running quicktime

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Remember that you are working with old software. "Updating" will not work, those functions may refer to servers that have long ceased to exist.

The latest version of QuickTime that is compatible with SheepShaver is version 4.1.2. Note that it is not possible to downgrade QuickTime by simply installing an earlier version. If you happened to have installed a later version, you will need to remove all QuickTime related files first, specifically files in the Extensions and Control Panels folders in the System folder.

QuickTime 4.1.2 can be downloaded here: http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/quicktime-4
soupboy53
Space Cadet

Post by soupboy53 »

I deleted all quicktime files and re-installed 4.1.2 but i'm still getting an error message whenever i try to run the program

thanks so much for your help :smile:
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Did you restart the emulated machine (or quit and relaunch SheepShaver) after QT installation? The newly installed QT files in the System folder will be loaded at startup.
soupboy53
Space Cadet

Post by soupboy53 »

turns out i made a mistake really early in the setup & when i fixed it i was finally able to get everything to install and run just fine
thanks so very much for your time and help :)