SheepShaver Windows + JIT + Newworld + Mac OS 9

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

rakslice
Student Driver

SheepShaver Windows + JIT + Newworld + Mac OS 9

Post by rakslice »

I'm chasing a crash on boot of SheepShaver on Windows in JIT mode with Mac OS 9 and Newworld ROMs, and I've figured out goes all the way back to Jul 16, 2006 (git revision e07e2196). Given that this crash has been around for so long, I'm curious: is there some combination of SheepShaver settings or ROM version or other workaround that anyone knows of for using SS w/ Mac OS 9 + JIT + some newworld ROM that doesn't crash on boot on Windows? Or do people just always use Oldworld ROMs for Mac OS 9 on Windows (or else not use JIT)?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Re: SheepShaver Windows + JIT + Newworld + Mac OS 9

Post by emendelson »

If you search for "MacOS9 for Windows" you'll get to my standalone system, which uses a build dated February 2017. The web page says it uses a build made by Ronald, but I'm fairly sure that's a mistake. I think I built it with your code at the time, but with JIT disabled in the code itself. The prefs file in the system has JIT true, but of course that won't mean anything if JIT was disabled in the code itself.

I'll try to find the build environment that I used, but I haven't been able to locate it so far.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

In answer to your question: I don't think anyone ever sorted out NewWorld+JIT on Windows. They just used the OldWorld ROM as a workaround.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

emendelson wrote:The web page says it uses a build made by Ronald, but I'm fairly sure that's a mistake.
Indeed, I never built for Windows.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
emendelson wrote:The web page says it uses a build made by Ronald, but I'm fairly sure that's a mistake.
Indeed, I never built for Windows.
I think I must have lifted that sentence from my page about the macOS version of the system; apologies!