New setup after COI, application quits immediately

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Bernie
Space Cadet

New setup after COI, application quits immediately

Post by Bernie »

I too am trying to install SheepShaver under Mojave 10.14.6 with the same immediate crash. I have all the files in the SheepShaver folder. I have tried 3 different versions of the ROM file. The ROM files are not recognized by the SheepShaverwrapper app either.

I have the COIv4 (Classic on Intel) version running fine but need the 64 bit version in order to move to Catalina. How can I get a working ROM file?

I have owned and used Macs since 1991.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Bernie
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: New setup after COI, application quits immediately

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

It is not possible to simply do a new installation on a machine (and user account) that ran COI before.

There are two possibilities, which one would you prefer:
Completely start from scratch or use your COI setup to make it into a regular setup?
Bernie
Space Cadet

Post by Bernie »

Thank you for the quick response.

I am open to either solution.
Is one much simpler than the other?
I have a disk image with OS 9 apps installed and working with the current COI version.
If both updates are similar in complexity I would like to update the current COI version but am happy to take your advice.

Thanks again.
Bernie
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I think it is best to use the existing COI setup to create a regular setup. That way everything you used and did in the emulator will be preserved.

I need to know if you use disk images besides the OS9 disk. COI gives the possibility to add volumes by adding specially named .dmg disk images to the /Users/Shared/ folder. Do you use any such additional disk image files?
(The names can be 400Meg.dmg, 800Meg.dmg, 1200Meg.dmg, MyOldHD.dmg, and/or COIHD.dmg)
Bernie
Space Cadet

Post by Bernie »

Yes, I use 1 800Meg.dmg in the /Users/Shared folder.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

OK. I will write the instructions. It may take a while.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

OK, here we go.
(I have put this thread in a new topic with a more specific label.)

I am essentially following our setup guide http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... os_x_setup with some changes that are specific for going from COI to a regular SheepShaver setup.

Note: From now on you should never launch COI again. If you do, you will need to start all over again. After a successful transition, you can trash COI.

1. Start with getting the 9.0.4 system disk image out of Chubby Bunny for use in a regular SheepShaver setup:
- Right-click (or control-click) on the 'COI (Classic-On-Intel) V4.0.1 "Chubby Bunny"' icon in the Finder and choose "Show Package Contents" from the contextual menu.
..... You will now see a Finder window containing a file "COI" (which is really a package) and a folder "Contents".
- Launch Terminal (in /Applications/Utilities/).
- At the prompt in Terminal type

Code: Select all

cd
and a space (do not forget the space and do not yet hit return!).
- Drag the COI icon from the Finder into the Terminal window.
..... The path to the COI package will appear after cd.
- With the Terminal window in front, hit return.
- Then, at the new prompt, type in Terminal:

Code: Select all

cp .Classic.dmg ~/Desktop/MacOS9.dsk
followed by a return.
..... A copy of the COI startup disk image will appear on your desktop with the name "MacOS9.dsk".

2. Get a compatible ROM file:
- Best choice is the New World PPC ROM that can be found on the redundant robot site.
- Expand the zip archive if not already done automatically
- Select the resulting "newworld86.rom" file in the Finder and hit control-I
- In the Info window rename the file to "Mac OS ROM", without the quotes and without the .rom extension.

3. Create a shared folder for your SheepShaver setup:
- You can continue to use /Users/Shared/ but you can also create a new shared folder anywhere it is convenient. You are also free to name the folder.
- If you create a new shared folder, move the folder "Desktop Folder" from /Users/Shared/ to your new shared folder.

4. Insofar you did not do some of this already, prepare your SheepShaver folder:
- Download the latest SheepShaver build (expand the zip archive if not already done automatically)
- Download the SheepShaver folder (expand the zip archive if not already done automatically)
- Drag the SheepShaver application from its folder into the SheepShaver folder
- Drag the file "keycodes" from its folder into the SheepShaver folder, replacing the existing "keycodes" file there.
- You can trash the now empty folder that contained SheepShaver and keycodes
- Now add these files to the SheepShaver folder:
MacOS9.dsk (the system disk image you took from COI)
800Meg.dmg (the one from the /Users/Shared/ folder)
Mac OS ROM (the renamed rom file)

5. Before we can create a new setup, we need to delete the hidden prefs and nvram files that contain the COI setup:
In the SheepShaver folder is a folder "SheepShaver scripts" containing two scripts. Run both scripts.

6. You can now follow the setup guide from here: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sh ... heepshaver with the different procedure for "Volumes" as described below:

• Setup tab > ROM File
As in setup guide.

• Setup tab > Volumes
Different procedure:
- Use the “Add…” button to find and “Open” the MacOS9.dsk image file. That image file will appear in the Volumes list.
- Again use the “Add…” button to find and “Open” the 800Meg.dmg image file. That image file will appear in the Volumes list below the MacOS9.dsk volume.

• Setup tab > Unix Root
As in setup guide.
Then follow the setup guide from here until sections 6. Save and 7. Quit

7. When you now start SheepShaver, you should see desktop and volumes as you left them in COI, possibly in a different sized window, depending on the size you chose during setup.

The information in the setup guide in chapter "Running Mac OS in SheepShaver" and further chapters contains useful information for the use of your setup and about various features that were not available in COI.

You can always change settings (like the window size) in SheepShaver preferences. Always Quit SheepShaver after saving changes.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
Bernie
Space Cadet

Post by Bernie »

Tank you very much Ronald,

Your instructions worked perfectly! I now have the 64 bit version of SheepShaver running Mac OS9.

Thank you for supporting the Mac community both old and new.

Take care,
Bernie