Mac won't sleep with SS running

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

jrethorst
Tinkerer

Mac won't sleep with SS running

Post by jrethorst »

This happens on both my Intel and PPC machines. I have "Don't use CPU when idle" checked in the Memory/Misc. tabs in SS GUI. Is this standard?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I guess we are learning something new now and again. When the "don't use CPU when idle" option was introduced into SheepShaver it made SheepShaver not use the CPU for 100% all the time. So it made the host more usable when SheepShaver was running, but idle.

But adhering to the OSX sleep requirements might be something different altogether, and might not be implemented (yet?)

Best wishes,
Cat_7
jrethorst
Tinkerer

Re: Mac won't sleep with SS running

Post by jrethorst »

Running Sheepshaver 2.5 (2019-05-04) on OS 10.11.6, the Mac will not go to sleep automatically if Sheepshaver is running. I quit Sheepshaver and the Mac then sleeps as it should.

Is there any fix?

Thanks,
John R.
jrethorst
Tinkerer

Post by jrethorst »

I thought I'd write something myself. A pro at Stack Overflow had a shell script to get idle time (time elapsed since keystroke or mouse movement):

Code: Select all

set idleTime to do shell script "ioreg -c IOHIDSystem | awk '/HIDIdleTime/ {print $NF/1000000000; exit}'"
Since I use an Applescript to drive Sheepshaver anyway, giving you drag-and-drop functionality via an open handler, I just added an idle handler that checks idle time against a user-set interval.

John R.
jrethorst
Tinkerer

Post by jrethorst »

I'm advised that the most recent build of Sheepshaver, of 15 March 2020, has fixed the issue.

John R.
jrethorst
Tinkerer

Post by jrethorst »

Turns out I was misinformed. With the most recent Sheepshaver build running, the Mac's display will sleep but that's all. This is on a 4k 2019 machine running Mojave.

I hope this gets fixed. I like to leave my most-used apps running, and let the Mac sleep when I'm away from it.

John R.