Scrutiny in the Great Round

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

danco
Inquisitive Elf

Scrutiny in the Great Round

Post by danco »

I'm trying to play Scrutiny in the Great Round, more an interactive art piece than a game. It sort of works, but often displays white rectangles where there should obviously be some content. I'm wondering if some adjustment to parameters would make it work fully. I've tried Sheepshaver running systems 7, 8, and 9 with 640 x 480 video.

The problem seems to exist also in the macintoshjs emulator.

I'l also like to get XPlora 1 working. This may work on OS 7 (it works on a quick try, but haven't tried a long session) It seems to freeze or crash in Sheepshaver running OS8 and 9. Maybe it is System 7 only.

The third game/artwork I am trying is Ceremony of Innocence. So far that seems OK in Sheepshaver.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Scrutiny in the Great Round

Post by adespoton »

If the game runs in macintoshjs, that means it runs in Basilisk II and is a 68k product.

As such, you'd be best to test it in Mini vMac and PCE/Macplus.

What year was the software written? Is it black and white, or colour?
Elyus
Tinkerer

Post by Elyus »

I tried this game in Sheepshaver, and it may be a Quicktime version issue. They include Quicktime 2 in the installer.

If you have older Mac OS systems, adespoton is right that you might consider BasiliskII for this. Using BasiliskII and Mac OS 8.1, the game seems to run as expected.
danco
Inquisitive Elf

Post by danco »

OK, I'll try further.

Can I shortcut Basilisk installation by using a sparsebundle that works for OS8 in Sheepshaver? Or do I have to go through all the downloading of 19 parts of 7.5?

By the way, the game is colour, about 1995. The version of QuickTime installable from the game is 2.1. I had 2.5 installed, which I would expect to work but has the problem I mentioned.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I'd recommend doing a re-install, as you've probably got PPC stuff installed that won't work properly on a 68K system.

QT2.5 should be able to handle anything expecting QT2.1, so I'm not sure that's where the issue lies. SheepShaver running Mac OS 9, however, should have QT4 installed, which should also not have issues with stuff requiring QT2.1.

Best bet is probably to do a clean install using the OS 8 CD, then the OS 8.1 update, then install the game on top of that.
danco
Inquisitive Elf

Post by danco »

Yes, I didn't see why Quicktime 2.5 and 4 should have any problems, but they do.

Current situation is this.

On Sheepshaver running OS9 or OS8, or trying macintoshjs, I get white rectangles. My suspicion is that some setting needs adjusting.

On Sheepshave runing OS 7, it seems to freeze early on.

On Basilisk running OS7, of course my OS8 sparsebundle won't open.

On Basilisk trying to install OS 8 using a download from Macintosh Garden, the install seems to get stuck at Updating Hard Disk Drivers. At any rate, the install has stayed there for a long time.

I don't seem to have any physical install disks for OS 8 or 9 any more, so reinstalling is difficult. I have sparsebundles which work in Sheepshaver (but with the problem I am trying to solve).

None of this is really important. I don't HAVE to play these games. But it would be fun getting them back and working.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

The stall at installing drivers is expected; you should be able to reboot with the system folder installed and have it work. It just can't write the driver partition to the disk, because the scsi disk doesn't actually exist.

It sounds like your OS 8 sparsebundle is formatted HFS+? If you format an image under basilisk running OS 7 and then load that under your SS OS 8, you should be able to copy files across and load them under OS 7.

Remember that 68K Macs only go to 8.1, and SheepShaver works best with 8.6 or 9.0.4. Stuff that works (or not) under 8.6 PPC will have very different results under 8.1 68k.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

danco wrote:the install seems to get stuck at Updating Hard Disk Drivers..
From our SheepShaver for OSX/macOS setup guide:

In some configurations the system installation may stall at the very beginning while “Updating Apple hard disk drivers”. It seems to happen especially with some system install CD disk images.

Wait at least several minutes to be sure that installation is indeed not proceeding past this stage, then cancel the operation and quit the installer. You may need to force quit SheepShaver as well.

Then start again, but in the screen where the actual installation can be started (usually the first screen after the software license agreement), click the “Options…” button and uncheck the option to “Update Apple Hard Disk Drivers”. Installation should now proceed normally.
danco
Inquisitive Elf

Post by danco »

Thanks. I finally got Basilisk set up, there were a lot of blocks in the road., knowing not to update hard disk drivers, etc. I'm now on OS 8.0.

But unfortunately the white rectangles persist. Weird. I tried changing the size of the graphics, but they were still there. Maybe it just doesn't want to emulate, but that surprises me
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

If you feel like being persistent, the next step is to attempt 7.5.5 in Mini vMac II :)
danco
Inquisitive Elf

Post by danco »

On Basilisk running OS 7, it sort of worked. Sometimes crashed or froze, sometimes worked for a longish time (longer than I've had time to spend on it at present).

Anyway, thanks for all the help. Maybe it's time to give up.
danco
Inquisitive Elf

Post by danco »

I think I have it working now, thanks to help from Elyus.

I said previously it worked unreliably (crashes but fine when restarted, etc) on OS 7. A detailed look revealed that (as I knew) I had OS 8 and OS 7 within my Basilisk Mac emulation. I was actually always using OS 8, not OS 7. I had used the Startup Disk control panel to change from OS 8 to OS 7 but that evidently was not working (not sure if I missed a warning in the setup somewhere, or just did something wrong).

Once I used the aBsilisk GUI to get rid of the OS 8 disk, everything seems to work fine using OS7.

Thanks again to everyone for help.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

danco wrote:I had used the Startup Disk control panel to change from OS 8 to OS 7 but that evidently was not working.
The Startup Disk control panel does not work in SheepShaver (and in BasiliskII). The emulator will always start up from the first bootable disk from the top in the prefs file (which is the first bootable volume from the top in the volumes list in the GUI).
danco
Inquisitive Elf

Post by danco »

I had decided something like that must be happening. I'm sure it was mentioned somewhere in the documentation, but evidently I had missed it.

Anyway, it's working now, and I have that information for future use if needed.