How to run my Macintosh software in vMac

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

icr
Space Cadet

How to run my Macintosh software in vMac

Post by icr »

I can run my old software on my old Mac SE30 but I setup mini vMac on my 27" iMac to run the programs. These are programs I wrote in Lightspeed C back in the 1980s. They are MY programs.
I can't figure out how to run them in the emulator.

I tried importfl but it does not seem to work with applications. Is there a similar tool that will import an application? How did they get all those games that can be imported? There must be some way to do it.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: How to run my Macintosh software in vMac

Post by adespoton »

icr wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:45 pm I can run my old software on my old Mac SE30 but I setup mini vMac on my 27" iMac to run the programs. These are programs I wrote in Lightspeed C back in the 1980s. They are MY programs.
I can't figure out how to run them in the emulator.

I tried importfl but it does not seem to work with applications. Is there a similar tool that will import an application? How did they get all those games that can be imported? There must be some way to do it.
ImportFl doesn't handle resource forks. So to import applications, compress with binhex, macbinary, zip, or stuffit first and import that file, then expand once it's in.

See https://www.gryphel.com/c/sw/archive/index.html for unarchiving tools you can use once you've imported the files.

To mount a disk image in Mini vMac, you just drag it over the desktop of a booted Mini vMac session.

Note that by default, Mini vMac emulates a Mac Plus; you can compile or download variations that will emulate the original Mac 128k through the Mac II (with color).

An alternative method for importing files is to use Basilisk II and its shared folder system to copy files onto an existing disk image, quit Basilisk II, and drag the image over Mini vMac.
icr
Space Cadet

Post by icr »

Can I presume that my applications that have been archived on the hard disk of my 27" iMac are not valid application files and the resource forks are gone?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Depends on their history. If that hard disk is formatted HFS or HFS+ and if the the files have never been on anything other than a Mac file system while being copied from one disk to another, the files will still have their resource forks.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Easy way to check: Open Terminal.app and type

Code: Select all

tail 
and then drag the file onto the window. Now backspace to the end of the file name and add /..namedfork/rsrc and press return.

eg:

Code: Select all

tail /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/Shared/Old\ Software/AncientApp/..namedfork/rsrc
where AncientApp is the name of the old application.

If you get output on the screen, the resource fork is intact. If you just get a new line with a command prompt on it, there's no resource fork.