MAME: Trying to Emulate System 6

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

phraposo
Space Cadet

MAME: Trying to Emulate System 6

Post by phraposo »

Hi Everyone!

I'm trying to emulate the Macintosh System 6 with the latest version of MAME (https://www.mamedev.org/release.html). I've followed the instructions on this tutorial (http://web.archive.org/web/201604012142 ... c_system_6), but apparently it's outdated.

First I've installed SDL2-2.0.7 and qmc2 frontend, downloaded the macse.rom file (https://ia803104.us.archive.org/view_ar ... merged.zip), the System 6 installation disks in Macintosh Repository and the pre-made disk (https://rbelmont.mameworld.info/?p=605). I've placed all these on the mame0232.x86 folder. Then I tried to run this command line on the terminal (from the tutorial), substituting the original "mess" for "mame":

./mame macse -hard1 macsehd.chd -flop1 SSW_6.0.8-800k_Disk1of4.img -flop2 SSW_6.0.8-800k_Disk2of4.img

This is the error message I've got:

"Tools.img”" approximately matches the following
supported software items (best match first):

* Software list "mac_flop" (Macintosh 400K/800K Disk images) matches:
ps25lede Photoshop 2.5.1 Limited Edition (German)
suprcars The Supercars - Test Drive II Car Disk
sys11 System Software 1.1
sys30 System Software 3.0
macbtx MacBTX 1&1
sys603 System Software 6.0.3
sys605 System Software 6.0.5
sys608 System Software 6.0.8
airborne Airborne!
bdrkcast Beyond Dark Castle
botp Balance of the Planet
macdrawde MacDraw 1.9.5 (German)
radius RadiusWare
loderun Lode Runner

* Software list "mac_hdd" (Mac Harddisks) matches:
mac753 System Software 7.5.3 Revision 2
mac700 System Software 7.0
mac750 System Software 7.5
mac760 System Software 7.6
mac608 System Software 6.0.8
mac701 System Software 7.0.1
mac711 System Software 7.1.1
mac755 System Software 7.5.5
mac761 System Software 7.6.1

Error: unknown option: -<UNADORNED2>

Anyone knows how to fix this?

P.S.: I've already tried to run from the qmc2 frontend, but the machine freezes. It's look like the initial state of MinivMac, when you turn on the machine and the ROM is loaded, but without any disks.

I thank you all in advance for your attention.

Best Regards,

Paulo
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: MAME: Trying to Emulate System 6

Post by adespoton »

The latest versions of MAME use an XML file containing the hashes of known images for a system plus metadata that goes with that hash. It looks like the disk images you're trying to use aren't in the hashlist.

There are a number of ways around this; the easiest is to use chdman to convert your disk images to the CHD format, which uses its own metadata and so doesn't need the hashlist.
phraposo
Space Cadet

Post by phraposo »

Hi adespoton and thank you for your response.

In fact I believe that I've made a mistake with the names of the installation disks. Now it's working fine. I'm also running a software that was not working on BasiliskII or SheepShaver (Macintosh Common Lisp 2). Maybe because the MMU emulation, I guess. I'm really impressed with the quality of the emulation. It's not user friendly, but when you manage to work with the basic configurations and terminal commands it works very well.

I have only one question and maybe you can help me. I'm using this command:

./mame maciici -hard1 mac753.chd -ramsize 128M

It took about 3 minutes to boot. The problem is that I can't use a second hard disk on the terminal (-hard2), only inside the machine configuration (hitting "tab", selecting a new slot, reseting the machine, selecting the new disk in the file manager and reseting again).

There is a way to load a second disk from the terminal using -hard2?

Best,

phraposo
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

To be honest, I've never tried -- I just create a large enough initial volume and use CDs or floppies as secondaries.
jariseon
Space Cadet

Post by jariseon »

does -listmedia or -listslots commandline switch in terminal show another hard disk option? if not, according to [1] you should be able to use an image nubus driver to mount a Mini vMac/Basilisk II/SheepShaver hd image. though it looks like those are limited to 256 MB.

there's also a recent classic Mac OS installation walkthrough at [2]. it targets MAME 0.232+ and system 7.1.1, but iiuc it would also work for 6.0.x (and older) systems.

[1] https://wiki.mamedev.org/index.php/Driver:Mac_68K
[2] https://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads ... 182&page=4
Arbee
Nice Guy

Post by Arbee »

You can in fact have up to 7 hard disks (1 for each SCSI ID). If you check -listslots, you'll see that -scsi:0, -scsi:1 -scsi:2 etc exist, one for each SCSI ID. By default, -scsi:6 is a hard disk and -scsi:1 is a CD-ROM. You can therefore do:

./mame maciici -scsi:5 harddisk -hard1 additional_disk.hdv -hard2 mac753.chd -ramsize 128M

(The -hard1/-hard2/-hard3 ordering will follow the increasing SCSI IDs, so if you had 7 hard disks -hard1 would be -scsi:0, -hard2 would be -scsi:1 and so on. Yes it's a little odd).

I'm glad to hear Macintosh Common Lisp is working. Our 68k MMU can boot vendor UNIXes on MAME's emulations for 68k-based Apollo/Domain, HP, and Sony NeWS workstations, so it's gotten quite the workout compared to something that only deals with classic Mac OS. I think A/UX should run once we get past some SCSI issues it's having.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Hey Arbee! Has there been any communication between MAMEDev and the QEMU-m68k team? Seems like both teams are working on similar issues right now.
Arbee
Nice Guy

Post by Arbee »

There's been some, but they more or less stopped talking once they got things functioning. And that's fine, their primary focus is closer to how Basilisk and SheepShaver work than what we're doing so a lot of it doesn't really translate.