A/UX userspace emulation on QEMU?

About Qemu-system-m68k, a m68k Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run MacOS 7.1 to 8.1, AUX 3.x and NetBSD

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

uyjulian
Apple Corer

A/UX userspace emulation on QEMU?

Post by uyjulian »

Does QEMU support userspace emulation of A/UX programs yet?

One main reason is that I'm looking into porting a newer version of GCC to compile executable for A/UX and it would be much faster to test using the same filesystem as the host instead of copying the executable into the disk image every time I make a change.
Another reason is that the GNU assembler has not fully implemented the features of the A/UX assembler so it would be nice to run the A/UX assembler on the host for the time being.
SolraBizna
Inquisitive Elf

Re: A/UX userspace emulation on QEMU?

Post by SolraBizna »

It doesn't, and doing so would be quite difficult. However, I may have another solution to your problem.

A/UX includes an NFSv2 client. It interoperates quite happily with a modern NFS server, as long as NFSv2 is allowed (which it usually is by default) and reserved ports aren't required (which they usually are by default).

To mount a directory on my macOS machine from my A/UX guest, I added the following to "/etc/nfs.conf" on the macOS side:

Code: Select all

nfs.server.mount.require_resv_port = 0
Made a line in "/etc/exports" like:

/Users/sbizna/path/to/nfs_dir -mapall=sbizna:nobody 1.2.3.4
(where "1.2.3.4" is the IP address of the machine I'm running QEMU on)

After doing that, "sudo nfsd restart" made the NFS server pick up the changes, and I was good to go.

Then, on the A/UX side, I made an entry in "/etc/hosts":

1.2.3.4 Machostname
(The kernel will refuse to mount a share by IP address, so you do need a hostname. Also, automatic mounting at boot via "/etc/fstab" refuses to work unless the hostname is capitalized, for some reason.)

Then added the "nfs" module to the kernel configuration:

newconfig nfs
After a reboot, I am henceforth able to mount the remote directory from the A/UX side:

mount Machostname:/Users/sbizna/path/to/nfs_dir /some/mountpoint
It is even usable from Finder and other Toolbox applications! ...if you change your UID on the A/UX side to match your UID on the macOS side, so that the Toolbox's aggressive client-side permission checks don't get confused.

I hope this is helpful to you, and I'm very excited by the prospect of a recent GCC toolchain for A/UX. :)
SolraBizna
Inquisitive Elf

Post by SolraBizna »

SolraBizna wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:55 am Then added the "ufs" module to the kernel configuration:

newconfig ufs
Ack. This should be "nfs", not "ufs". Accursed dyslexia.

(I'm too much of a newbie to be allowed to edit this post, I think.)
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

There, edited for you ;-)

Best,
Cat_7
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I tried this on Ventura, but got an "access denied" message in A/UX. Probably I misread the instructions, but has anyone else tried to get this working in Ventura?

Also, are the default settings in "newconfig nfs" the right ones?
SolraBizna
Inquisitive Elf

Post by SolraBizna »

My setup is still working, through Ventura and now Sonoma. There may have been something I needed to change but I didn't write it down if so. :(

I don't remember "newconfig nfs" needing any adjustments.