Trying to run Pro Tools 2.0 on Basilisk via OS X 10.11 El Capitan

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Partial90sDude
Space Cadet

Trying to run Pro Tools 2.0 on Basilisk via OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Post by Partial90sDude »

Hi I'm Jacob,

I'm trying to run Pro Tools version 2.0 (1993 version) so I can kind of get an idea of how Nine Inch Nails used it back in 1993 and 1994 (The Downward Spiral Era). I have it on Basilisk II but it keeps telling me I have to do something with Disk Copy. And I made this account because I need your help please with getting Pro Tools 2.0 to run.

Heres what the pop up said to why I couldn't open up Pro Tools 2.0:

"The document "Pro Tools 2.0.3.img" could not be opened, because the application "Disk Copy" could not be found.

Could not find a translation extension with appropriate translators."

I know Pro Tools advanced greatly through the decades. But I always have been curious of 1980s and 1990s softwares and apps. Hence why I installed Basilisk II on my Macbook and got Pro Tools 2.0 along with TurboSynth (Nine Inch Nails also used this).

Thank You,
Jacob R.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Trying to run Pro Tools 2.0 on Basilisk via OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Do not import the disk image into BasiliskII. The easiest way mount a disk image in BasiliskII is to use the GUI to add it to the volumes list. At next launch of BasiliskII, the disk will appear on the BasiliskII desktop.
Partial90sDude
Space Cadet

Post by Partial90sDude »

So would I import Pro Tools 2.0 to the Unix disk as it's called, or do I have to bring it somewhere else within Basilisk II? I'm mainly using for audio only (no MIDIs for me with the emulators, just samples, snippets and audio) for Pro Tools 2.0.

Would I do the same for Sound Designer I or II? I was told I could run this as well on Basilisk II. Not sure if that's true. I don't know anything about this emulation stuff; but I love using it only for obsolete and obscure softwares and apps.

I'll let you know if I run into anything else during my process,
Thank You,
Jacob R.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

You are trying to mount a .img disk image. Do not try to bring it inside BasiliskII. Just keep the .img file on the macOS host and add the file to the volumes list as I mentioned above. In BasiliskII the disk will be mounted. You can then copy or install (depends on the contents of the disk) from the disk to your virtual HD in BasiliskII.

Was the .img file archived as a .sit file? You can also expand it on the macOS host with an application like The Unarchiver. https://theunarchiver.com

With other software the procedure depends on how the software it is packed. If it is also on a disk image file, use the same procedure.
Partial90sDude
Space Cadet

Post by Partial90sDude »

Hey thank you for helping me out. I ended up grabbing Pro Tools the 1991 version. That version managed to install onto Basilisk II. Which I managed to do after I read your replies so I was doing this correctly, uploading the disk images into the GUI on the volumes list (I think that's the name you said).

However it did install, But it did ask for an AudioCard (idk if it's a Sound Card) or if it's a PCI-based Sound Card. The pop-up read exactly this when I tried opening ProDeck and ProTools after they installed (surprisingly well):

"This program requires a ProTools AudioCard and the DigiSystem INIT to run."

I did do what you said in adding the disk images, they installed correctly. But I have no idea at all if the AudioCard (or Sound Card(?)) for ProTools (1991 version) is about or even available. I also did take care of the DigiSystem INIT thing as it asked beforehand. So that was one part it asked that I got done. I just have to keep looking for a ProTools AudioCard and potentially a soundcard adapter to help me run this on Basilisk II. :D

I am amazed how I got TurboSynth working, and I feel I'll be able to do this with Sound Designer as well. Pro Tools I didn't think the cards weren't truly needed or if they're only oriented around working for the OG Macintoshes. Well I'm ok with the fact I got TurboSynth up and running.

I'll keep reaching out if I have any technical problems further with any Mac emulators.

Thank You! :D
Jacob R.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

It seems that the software requires audio cards that are not emulated in BasiliskII. I don't think there is a solution for that.
Partial90sDude
Space Cadet

Post by Partial90sDude »

Either way I am happy I got TurboSynth and which audio softwares I found on MacintoshRepisitory. :D Thank you once more for your advice and help too!

I know I'll be scratchin my liver if I don't ask this, would it be possible to have an old Mac tower with a ProTools AudioCard in it and adapt that to the Macbook running Basilisk II?

I have no professional knowledge about this stuff, but I am happy I got far with trying to get ProTools. :D It is groovie they still offer perpetual licences for customers. But it is expensive and I can't afford it right now, though it was interesting finding the old ProTools on Mac Repository.

Well Thank you once more! Have a Groovie Day! :D
Jacob R.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

You might want to set up an account at MacOS9Lives.com, as what you're trying to do is similar to what their forum focuses on. They mostly go for actual hardware DAWs running Mac OS 9, but I've had some discussion regarding incorporating BII/QEMU into a DAW config.
Partial90sDude
Space Cadet

Post by Partial90sDude »

I'll do that and I feel I'll get a groovie kick out of it. I still am imagining if it is possible to have a ProTools AudioCard in an old Mac tower with a soundcard adapter running into my Macbook running Basilisk II. I'm sorry my Autism is kicking in when I speak about hobbies like this. :D

Thank You! I'll get to that in a few, I like using ancient stuff like that. And most of it was around before me! :P
Jacob R.
hiroshige
Space Cadet

Post by hiroshige »

its asking for samplecell card which is nubus for pt 2

if emulator could pass pci cards it would be the bes thing since ice cream
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

hiroshige wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:49 pm its asking for samplecell card which is nubus for pt 2

if emulator could pass pci cards it would be the bes thing since ice cream
Not going to happen with BII, which emulates a Mac II or Quadra. I see you've already moved on to qemu-system-ppc though, which DOES allow for device passthrough (and supports Macs that had PCI, not NuBUS cards)