Increase available space on Unix volume

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

elemenoh
Space Cadet

Increase available space on Unix volume

Post by elemenoh »

I'd like to be able to copy files >1GB to the UNIX shared folder, but it's constrained at 1,023MB. Is it possible to increase the available space shown on that volume?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Increase available space on Unix volume

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

There may be a limit to the size of individual files you can copy or a limit to the total size you can copy at the same time (I never tried), but otherwise there is no limit to the total size of files that can be copied from or to 'Unix'. It always indicates that 1,023.9 MB is available, no matter how many files are in the shared folder.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

It seems to me to change this to something like 4096 (I can't remember whether 9.0.4 supports any files above size of 2048) should just involve changing a value in the source code prior to compiling. I think I've even done it in the past. I can't remember where the value is, but it's somewhere in the shared folder code.
kevinduarte
Space Cadet

Post by kevinduarte »

When I copy a file over 1GB from my the Mac OS 9 disks to the Unix drive I get the error: "There is not enough room on the disk "Unix" to copy "[name of file here]" (an additional [size above 1GB] is needed. So, it looks like SheepShaver takes the Unix drive being 1GB seriously. Any option to increase its size to 4GB?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I wonder what kind of OS9 file can be that large? A huge database?

That size is just a figure that is shown to the guest OS, it has nothing to do with a real size. It is also not influenced by files already in the Unix drive /shared folder. It is the guest OS that takes that "size" seriously. To change that figure, one would probably need to edit it somewhere in the SheepShaver / BasiliskII source code. Not sure what kind of disk volume the 'Unix' drive is to the guest OS. I would not go larger than 2GB to start with.
kevinduarte
Space Cadet

Post by kevinduarte »

Thank you, Ronald. Bummer as I was hoping it was a preference somewhere (SheepShaver or MacOS 9). :)

I'll just render the videos, then use Quicktime to chop them into 1GB or smaller chunks with overlapping tails, I found QuickTime chopping was not frame-accurate, then use a video editor to piece the bits back together on the other side. Unfortunately, I've not found a MacOS 9 browser that dropbox or youtube would accept so I could upload directly. Looks like Classiczilla can't handle their login forms.

Working to restore U&I Software history (MetaSynth, ArtMatic, Videodelic) on the different Apple platforms, which includes music video examples. Step by step... Just happy SheepShaver is here and even makes this attempt possible! Thank you for your support in keeping it alive.

All the best,
Kevin

p.s. Seems my SheepShaver crashes/lockups are due to the Animation Quicktime compressor, other codex seem to work...
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Building SheepShaver from kanjitalk755 source is not difficult to do, just follow his instructions here: https://github.com/kanjitalk755/macemu

If we could find where in the source is the "Unix" size, we could try to change it and build with the larger value.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Are you running SheepShaver on macOS? You can, of course, create a large disk image on the host and mount it in SheepShaver. Both MacOS9 and latest macOS can read and write HFS+ formatted disk images. I will try and see what will work.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Works fine. I did this in macOS Big Sur on a M1 iMac, so it should work on any Mac.

In Disk Utility create a new blank .dmg disk image.
Name file and name volume
Size: 4000MB
Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
Encryption: None
Partitions: No partition map
Image Format: read/write disk image

When ready, unmount the disk image on the host !

Run SheepShaver and add the disk image file to the volumes list in SheepShaver preferences
Save and quit SheepShaver
Launch SheepShaver again
The disk will mount on SheepShaver desktop

You can mount and use the disk image both in SheepShaver and on the host macOS, but never at the same time! So unmount the image on the host before you start SheepShaver and quit SheepShaver before you mount the image again on the host.
kevinduarte
Space Cadet

Post by kevinduarte »

Thank you Ronald! Going to try this now...

Yes on an M1 Mini macOS 12.01 + SheepShaver + MacOS 9.0. Off to follow the steps above.

--------------------
Side note for reference: 8GB virtual drives can be created but after use copying a file to them, they hang the OS on open, or simply clicking to get info will create a spinning clock until Sheep Shaver is Force Quit. OS9 should support drives up to 128 GB (larger are known to be problematic), so don't know if this is a MacOS or Sheep Shaver issue. Have to batch all work down to 4GB virtual drives, which appear to be stable.

Mac OS 9 Max RAM is 1.5 GB, increase from 512 MB and see if behavior changes.
kevinduarte
Space Cadet

Post by kevinduarte »

kevinduarte wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:40 pm Thank you Ronald! Going to try this now...

Yes on an M1 Mini macOS 12.01 + SheepShaver + MacOS 9.0. Off to follow the steps above.

--------------------
Side note for reference: 8GB virtual drives can be created but after use copying a file to them, they hang the OS on open, or simply clicking to get info will create a spinning clock until Sheep Shaver is Force Quit. OS9 should support drives up to 128 GB (larger are known to be problematic), so don't know if this is a MacOS or Sheep Shaver issue. Have to batch all work down to 4GB virtual drives, which appear to be stable.

Mac OS 9 Max RAM is 1.5 GB, increase from 512 MB and see if behavior changes.
Success! The drive mounted, and I was able to copy the 2.6GB file to it for transfer.
Note: new .dmg is placed at the root of the Documents folder.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:08 pm If we could find where in the source is the "Unix" size, we could try to change it and build with the larger value.
Perhaps in extfs.cpp ??? There are two lines about what it is reported to MacOS, but I don't know if those might be the ones that determine the reported size of the disk. Maybe kanjitalk755 can figure this out?
kanjitalk755
Apple Corer

Post by kanjitalk755 »

Yes, it's at src/extfs.cpp#L126:

Code: Select all

const int AL_BLK_SIZE = 0x4000;
If you change it to 0x10000, it will be 4GB.
However, it has not been verified to be safe.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

kanjitalk755 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:59 am Yes, it's at src/extfs.cpp#L126:

Code: Select all

const int AL_BLK_SIZE = 0x4000;
If you change it to 0x10000, it will be 4GB.
However, it has not been verified to be safe.
It seems to me that it should be safe at 0x5000 (2 GB). 4GB *should* technically work, but there are a number of edge cases where it could fail.