Add Voodoo2 emulation for Qemu?

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Bruninho
Tinkerer

Re: Add Voodoo2 emulation for Qemu?

Post by Bruninho »

86Box, a PCem fork, can actually run Apple Rhapsody DR2, there's an intel build for Pentium, but that's all:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spYzNVcmYqg
Bruninho
Tinkerer

Post by Bruninho »

darthnvader wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:28 am
Bruninho wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:02 am So, is this project dead now or is it still being investigated?
It's pretty much dead, never got any collaboration from skilled coders.

But, mean, all the needed things are there, someone with some C skills better than mine just needs to port the code to Qemu.

PCem now works fine with the macOS and has Voodoo2 emulation.
You can try the MSFN forums or the VOGONS forums, certainly someone there can help you with that. There is a dude on github with a MESA/Glide passthrough patch for QEMU to give 3dfx support in games. Pretty much like a glide wrapper using the host OpenGL resources. But be warned, he is not very much helpful.
Bruninho
Tinkerer

Post by Bruninho »

@adespoton @darthnvader

Can I suggest you contact the developer of this emulator for more info on his attempt to emulate the ati rage?
https://github.com/dingusdev/dingusppc
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Bruninho wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:53 am @adespoton @darthnvader

Can I suggest you contact the developer of this emulator for more info on his attempt to emulate the ati rage?
https://github.com/dingusdev/dingusppc
I'm not sure it would do much good -- I discussed this with him back when he was starting on it. Graphics card emulation is way outside my wheelhouse, and emulating it seems to have a steep learning curve that he's still climbing. See viewtopic.php?t=10263 , viewtopic.php?t=10759 , viewtopic.php?t=10944
Bruninho
Tinkerer

Post by Bruninho »

Well, that's unfortunate. Now that PCem is dead (Sarah abandoned it, and her reasons are understandable), proper Voodoo emulation only exists in 86Box for Windows, DOSBox vanilla and it's forks. PCem had a macOS Build until Big Sur 11.3, when Apple again "broke" the linking of libraries in Xcode 13.x and made it impossible to use any build with any emulated voodoo card (it would freeze/crash the VM). Doesn't even build on M1 Macs.

However, DOSBox only emulates Voodoo 1. Apparently real PPC macs could game with Voodoo 3, 4, and 5, and their emulation do exist in PCem and 86box emulators. I am guessing that from a topic on macOS9lives forums, one needs to (patch? or flash?) the ROM in a real card for a PC variant to work in a PPC Mac.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Bruninho wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:47 am Well, that's unfortunate. Now that PCem is dead (Sarah abandoned it, and her reasons are understandable), proper Voodoo emulation only exists in 86Box for Windows, DOSBox vanilla and it's forks. PCem had a macOS Build until Big Sur 11.3, when Apple again "broke" the linking of libraries in Xcode 13.x and made it impossible to use any build with any emulated voodoo card (it would freeze/crash the VM). Doesn't even build on M1 Macs.

However, DOSBox only emulates Voodoo 1. Apparently real PPC macs could game with Voodoo 3, 4, and 5, and their emulation do exist in PCem and 86box emulators. I am guessing that from a topic on macOS9lives forums, one needs to (patch? or flash?) the ROM in a real card for a PC variant to work in a PPC Mac.
Yeah; you need to re-flash the EEPROM on the card to load the Mac version; it's different than the Windows version, and the drivers are incompatible.