BasiliskII on headless Mac

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

cafe-megabyte
Space Cadet

BasiliskII on headless Mac

Post by cafe-megabyte »

Hi everybody,

I was using BasiliskII for a few months now on my MacBook M1. But I didn't get it to run on my Mac mini 2018 (Intel). Finally, I could figure out what the problem was and wanted to let you know.

My Mac mini is headless, which means that no monitor is connected to it. I'm using it only via screen sharing. While this is no issue for SheepShaver, it turns out that BasiliskII requires some kind of monitor. When I connect an HDMI dummy plug, Basilisk works perfectly. But this HDMI plug is normally not connected because it limits the available resolutions for screen sharing.

BetterDummy did the trick! This is not only a replacement for SwitchResX to set an arbitrary screen resolution, but it also connects a virtual screen to macOS. This made BasiliskII to run on my headless Mac mini.

Cheers!
KnuddlMac
Granny Smith

Re: BasiliskII on headless Mac

Post by KnuddlMac »

My Mac mini is headless, which means that no monitor is connected to it.
Thank you very much for mentioning! - I have the same setup, I had the same problem and ended up using SheepShaver.
Now I know why Basilisk II didn't work w/o a monitor connected.

Thumbs up!

Knuddelmac