I was unable to find the file. Please move the file...

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Gidoza
Student Driver

I was unable to find the file. Please move the file...

Post by Gidoza »

Hi there.

So when attempting to move files using the file transfer for SheepShaver by dropping the file onto the MacOS9 shortcut on my Windows desktop, OS9 will often give me the following message:

"I was unable to find the file. Please move the file to a different Windows folder and drop it again."

I do move the file to different folders, and it makes no difference.

Any thoughts on what I can do?

I got SheepShaver from here:

http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/macos9win.html

Thank you!
-Gidoza
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Re: I was unable to find the file. Please move the file...

Post by emendelson »

Try moving the file to your Windows desktop, and then drop it on the MacOS9 icon. The file may e in a folder where my app doesn't have permission (from Windows) to access it.

[Ronald - this probably belongs in the Alternate SheepShaver Configurations folder, because it's about my MacOS9 system for Windows. But perhaps leave it here until the OP gets a change to read it?]
Gidoza
Student Driver

Post by Gidoza »

Hi,

I have moved it to the desktop - it makes no difference.

Cheers,
-Gidoza
Gidoza
Student Driver

Post by Gidoza »

Hi there,

Moreover, any files I'm moving over from my real Mac OS9 computer seem not to work. They all appear as "white folders" no matter what and complain that the "file that created them" could not be found. Simple example: Master of Orion II works fine on my MacOS9, but when I move it to the emulator, it refuses to start and every file is a blank white file, but of the correct size.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Gidoza wrote:Hi there,

Moreover, any files I'm moving over from my real Mac OS9 computer seem not to work. They all appear as "white folders" no matter what and complain that the "file that created them" could not be found. Simple example: Master of Orion II works fine on my MacOS9, but when I move it to the emulator, it refuses to start and every file is a blank white file, but of the correct size.
Probably you're losing the resource fork when you move the file from the Mac to Windows and then to SheepShaver. That's why the files won't work. You'll need to use something like Stuffit to compress the files on the Mac, and then uncompress the Stuffit archive in SheepShaver. You can find information about this in the forum.

Basically, once you move an UNARCHIVED (not Stuffed, not binhex-ed, not Zipped, etc.) file from any Mac to a Windows machine, you make it unusable, and there's no easy way to fix it. Always archive the file on a Mac system first.

EDIT: Adespoton gave an even better answer while I was writing mine...
Last edited by emendelson on Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Create a disk image on your OS 9 system and copy all the folders into that. Then move the image across to the emulator and mount it (either via emulator prefs, or mount it within the OS). Then copy things over.

When you move Mac files onto NTFS or FAT filesystems, they lose all the metadata associated with the files. So even if they only have a data fork and you don't lose resources, you're still going to lose the file associations.
Gidoza
Student Driver

Post by Gidoza »

emendelson wrote:
Gidoza wrote:Hi there,

Probably you're losing the resource fork when you move the file from the Mac to Windows and then to SheepShaver. That's why the files won't work. You'll need to use something like Stuffit to compress the files on the Mac, and then uncompress the Stuffit archive in SheepShaver. You can find information about this in the forum.

Basically, once you move an UNARCHIVED (not Stuffed, not binhex-ed, not Zipped, etc.) file from any Mac to a Windows machine, you make it unusable, and there's no easy way to fix it. Always archive the file on a Mac system first.

EDIT: Adespoton gave an even better answer while I was writing mine...
Ah. That's easy enough. Will have to start over again with re-plugging in my OS9 and stuffing everything, then I'll let you know what happens. :)
Gidoza
Student Driver

Post by Gidoza »

adespoton wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:30 pm Create a disk image on your OS 9 system and copy all the folders into that. Then move the image across to the emulator and mount it (either via emulator prefs, or mount it within the OS). Then copy things over.

When you move Mac files onto NTFS or FAT filesystems, they lose all the metadata associated with the files. So even if they only have a data fork and you don't lose resources, you're still going to lose the file associations.
Sorry to revive such an old thread, but it turns out I'm having this problem again.

The question presently: how do I create a disk image in OS9?

EDIT: I think I was able to make a disk image, but the next question is how to mount it. I copied the disk image onto a USB itself.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Gidoza wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:19 pm The question presently: how do I create a disk image in OS9?
In the MacOS9 disk at the upper right of the SheepShaver desktop, find the Utilities folder. Open Disk Copy.

On the top-line menu, click Image, then Create New Image. Choose the size you need. Leave both checkboxes checked. When the image mounts, you will be prompted to initialize it. Give it a name; choose Mac OS Standard or Mac OS Enhanced (if it is offered). Click Erase.

Double-click the new disk image icon on your desktop (NOT the file named something.img - double-click the one with the name you gave to the disk when you initialized it.) Copy files into it. When you are done, drag it to the Trash to unmount it. Drag the something.img file to the Unix folder to copy it to the host system.

If this is not clear, please search the web for a similar description.
Gidoza
Student Driver

Post by Gidoza »

Thanks! The disk copy worked fine - except I used it on my actual OS9 computer to make a copy of all the files I wanted to move to the emulator. Worked like a charm. :)

emendelson wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:46 pm
Gidoza wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:19 pm The question presently: how do I create a disk image in OS9?
In the MacOS9 disk at the upper right of the SheepShaver desktop, find the Utilities folder. Open Disk Copy.

On the top-line menu, click Image, then Create New Image. Choose the size you need. Leave both checkboxes checked. When the image mounts, you will be prompted to initialize it. Give it a name; choose Mac OS Standard or Mac OS Enhanced (if it is offered). Click Erase.

Double-click the new disk image icon on your desktop (NOT the file named something.img - double-click the one with the name you gave to the disk when you initialized it.) Copy files into it. When you are done, drag it to the Trash to unmount it. Drag the something.img file to the Unix folder to copy it to the host system.

If this is not clear, please search the web for a similar description.