AppleTalk over Ethernet and use of etherhelper

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

mabam
Master Emulator

Re: AppleTalk over Ethernet and use of etherhelper

Post by mabam »

etherhelper is working in my universal Catalina build, compiled from present kanjitalk755 code: viewtopic.php?p=72763#p72763

Find the (unnotarized) binary here: https://c.web.de/@337526389169198226/Yi ... XaxP0sxWmw
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Confirmed working with etherhelper/en0 in BasiliskII running on Monterey.

I couldn't even remember that we had this option, even though I conferred with dsumorok at the time of development of the etherhelper ;-)

Best,
Cat_7
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

Thanks for testing!

With your QEMU experimental build from 16-02-2021 (Qemu 6.0pre with vmnet support), I could connect to the emulated Mac OS from my host. That is, I could print from the host via LPR using QEMU as a print server for my AppleTalk printer.

Running Basilisk II with etherhelper, AppleTalk works fine. However, I did not succeed in connecting to the emulated Mac OS from my host. Are you by chance able to do so at your side?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I just posted a new experimental build with the latest (today) patches for qemu with vmnet support.

Best,
Cat_7
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

That is, I could print from the host via LPR using QEMU as a print server for my AppleTalk printer.
I don't have such an elaborate setup, what would do to test access from the host into Basilisk?

Best,
Cat_7
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

Cat_7 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:38 pm I just posted a new experimental build with the latest (today) patches for qemu with vmnet support.

Best,
Cat_7

Now if I wouldn’t still be on Catalina, I’d definitely try it.
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

Cat_7 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:43 pm
That is, I could print from the host via LPR using QEMU as a print server for my AppleTalk printer.
I don't have such an elaborate setup, what would do to test access from the host into Basilisk?

Best,
Cat_7

Hmm, good question. You could actually setup the print server without a printer. It’s very simple and sufficient to test whether traffic from the host reaches Basilisk II:
  • Download Print66 from https://blog.barijaona.com/print66/presentation.html
  • Put the “Spool Folder” in your System Folder
  • Open “LPD.config” in the Spool Folder and substitute its content by:

Code: Select all

LASERWRITER	"LaserWriter 8"

NOMAIL

PRINTER pslaser PAP "LaserWriter 4/600 PS" POSTSCRIPT

HOST 192.168.1.95
    while using your host machine’s IP address after “HOST”.
  • Copy “Print66.68K” somewhere on Mac OS’s HDD and start it.
Now on your host macOS, open System Preferences and create a new IP printer. Enter Basilisk II’s IP address, choose “LPD” for the protocol, “pslaser” for the queue, give it a sensible name and some standard PPD.

Once you click “add” and your printer is created quickly, the host could connect to Basilisk II. Also, if you print you will see Print66 look for the printer.
If the printer cannot be found you will be asked of want to create it anyway. In that case the host could not connect to Basilisk II and Print66 will not receive any print jobs.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

It seems etherhelper/en0 piggybacks on the host connection. It gets the same ip address as the host, where a tap connection would get its own address.
When directing traffic to the lpd port, I guess the host will not know where to send it. I could not connect.
I tried running Basilisk with a manual address different from the host address. And while it then can still access the internet, I could not get the host to connect to the print spooler.

Trying with new qemu with vmnet additions....yep, works.

Best,
Cat_7
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

Thank you, that makes things more clear!

Compiling with VDE should be a solution. Discussed here: viewtopic.php?p=72797#p72797 and here: viewtopic.php?p=72403#p72403.
superpantoufle
Space Cadet

Post by superpantoufle »

Hi there,

Thank you everyone for this thread! I had given up trying to share files with AppleTalk between BII/SS and my old Macs years ago. Just today I googled a bit to see if anything had changed, and I stumbled upon this after reading various threads around here.

My host is a brand new 16“ M1 Max MacBook Pro running Monterey 12.1, connected both wirelessly and wired to my router.

I could easily reach a PowerMac G4 Cube running Mac OS 9.2 connected wirelessly to an old AirPort Base station via AppleShare, using the August 1st, 2021 universal builds of both Basilisk II and SheepShaver. Wow!

On a sidenote, on my first attempt using etherhelper/en7 instead of slip with Basilisk II, it would crash immediately (while booting fine with slip). I downloaded the April 16, 2021 Intel build of Basilisk II, which worked fine. Then I reverted to the universal build, which also worked fine. Go figure…
it worked immediately with the universal build of SheepShaver, though.
From a Macintosh SE to a MacBook Air (2018) and a PowerHack G5. 33 years of (insanely great) addiction, and counting.
steeler_fanatic
Space Cadet

Post by steeler_fanatic »

Hi,

Was inspired by this post and replies to try a few AppleTalk tests between my physical Mac Plus and various MacBook Pro's. In the following scenario's, the Plus was wired to the router via an Asante EN/SC-10T adapter. The MacBook Pro's were connected wirelessly using the May 20, 2020 build of Basilisk II to emulate a Mac IIci.

Scenario 1: 2013 MacBook Pro (Catalina/Intel) <---> Mac Plus (successful)
Scenario 2: 2017 MacBook Pro (Ventura/Intel) <---> Mac Plus (successful)
Scenario 3: 2023 MacBook Pro (Sonoma/M3 Max) <---> Mac Plus (partially successful)

In each case, the combination was tested with the Mac Plus running OS 6.0.8, 7.0.1 and 7.5.5. I was able to pull up the Mac Plus on the emulated Mac IIci and the emulated Mac IIci on the Mac Plus except for Scenario 3. In that case, I was only able to pull up the Mac Plus on the Mac Iici.

I tried the latest build of Basilisk II to see if it would work better for Scenario 3, but it crashed I suspect due to the Etherhelper setting.

So based on above, the May 2020 build appears at this time to be best for those looking to use AppleTalk in similar scenarios.
steeler_fanatic
Space Cadet

FYI - I had success with the suggested etherhelper/en0 approach for various MacBook Pro's connecting wirelessly with a Mac Plus with a wired connection via an Asante adapter. The MacOS's tested were Catalina/Intel, Ventura/Intel and Sonoma/Apple Silicon. Only issue I came upon was with Sonoma the emulated Mac IIci would connect to the Mac Plus as a server, but the Mac Plus did not "see" the Mac Iici in Chooser. In all cases I was using the May 2020 Basilisk II build.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Thanks for the testing and feedback!

It seems odd that the current builds would crash because of Etherhelper; AFAIK, the only related change since the May 25, 2020 build was April 29, 2022 with: "Fixed a bug where not all modems, printers and ethernet interfaces would get listed after sorting." This seems unlikely to have broken anything in a way that would cause a crash?
steeler_fanatic
Space Cadet

adespoton wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:20 pm Thanks for the testing and feedback!

It seems odd that the current builds would crash because of Etherhelper; AFAIK, the only related change since the May 25, 2020 build was April 29, 2022 with: "Fixed a bug where not all modems, printers and ethernet interfaces would get listed after sorting." This seems unlikely to have broken anything in a way that would cause a crash?
I tried again with same result. The latest build crashes immediately on my 2023 MacBook Pro after providing credentials to enable the change required to use etherhelper. I suspect the difference may be due to the older build compiled for Intel requiring Rosetta whereas the new build is compiled for Intel and Apple Silicon and runs natively on Apple Silicon on the new Macs. As a further experiment, I ran the latest build on my 2017 MacBook Pro. It did not crash but nothing showed up in Chooser.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

steeler_fanatic wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:38 pm

I tried again with same result. The latest build crashes immediately on my 2023 MacBook Pro after providing credentials to enable the change required to use etherhelper. I suspect the difference may be due to the older build compiled for Intel requiring Rosetta whereas the new build is compiled for Intel and Apple Silicon and runs natively on Apple Silicon on the new Macs. As a further experiment, I ran the latest build on my 2017 MacBook Pro. It did not crash but nothing showed up in Chooser.
Any difference with the new build if you get info for it and set it to run Intel instead of ARM? This seems like a bug we should be able to track down and squash.
steeler_fanatic
Space Cadet

adespoton wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:02 am

Any difference with the new build if you get info for it and set it to run Intel instead of ARM? This seems like a bug we should be able to track down and squash.
Good suggestion :smile:! I ran the new build under Rosetta and it executed successfully in the same manner as the 2020 build as described in my earlier post for Scenario 3.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

steeler_fanatic wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:18 am
adespoton wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:02 am

Good suggestion :smile:! I ran the new build under Rosetta and it executed successfully in the same manner as the 2020 build as described in my earlier post for Scenario 3.
@Kanjitalk755, if you're reading this... looks like there's a networking issue with the AARCH code.