OS9 desktop being drawn too large by Sheepshaver COI running on MBP in High Sierra

About unsupported SheepShaver configurations, like COI (Chubby Bunny), SheepShaver Wrapper, etc.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

retroformat
Space Cadet

OS9 desktop being drawn too large by Sheepshaver COI running on MBP in High Sierra

Post by retroformat »

I'm happy to report that I can run OS9 on my late 2013 MacbookPro under MacOS High Sierra, but there's one problem. The Sheepshaver window that shows the OS9 desktop is being drawn much too large! I have no access to the OS9 scroll bars... The Sheepshaver window does not appear to permit resizing by dragging the edges of the window, and I cannot reach the lower right corner...

Could the fact that the MBP has a retina screen be the issue? (Then again, I don't have the problem on a 27" 5K retina iMac running under MacOS El Capitan)

Has anyone seen this problem? Any tips on how I can get Sheepshaver to draw the window smaller?
retroformat
Space Cadet

Re: OS9 desktop being drawn too large by Sheepshaver COI running on MBP in High Sierra

Post by retroformat »

I figured it out!
In the Menu bar, go to Sheepshaver>Preferences which brings up a dialog box with three tabs, the middle tab being for video settings. There you can set the screen size in pixels.
See, all I had to do is post the question, and then I was able to look for this fix...
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: OS9 desktop being drawn too large by Sheepshaver COI running on MBP in High Sierra

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Note that SheepShaver preferences settings do not stick when you use COI. Each time you launch COI the prefs settings will be replaced by the fixed COI settings.

You can always change window size while SheepShaver is running by changing the resolution in Monitors control panel in MacOS9.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

For a system that might serve you better, search the web for:

MacOS9 for OSX/MacOS

But if you're happy with what you have, then there's no need to bother.
retroformat
Space Cadet

Post by retroformat »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:30 am Note that SheepShaver preferences settings do not stick when you use COI. Each time you launch COI the prefs settings will be replaced by the fixed COI settings.

You can always change window size while SheepShaver is running by changing the resolution in Monitors control panel in MacOS9.
I think I had tried using the OS9 Monitors control panel earlier, but it had not worked for me.
I just tried it again, and now it does work. But in the present instance, the window was a good useful size (nearly full screen) to begin with, and I could see the current size and smaller sizes/resolutions on offer in the Monitors control panel.
Before, when the Sheepshaver window was being drawn much too large (I still don't know why), I don't think the Monitors control panel gave me those choices.
I note that the screen size I selected in the Sheepshaver preferences has indeed been "sticky" and is now a choice in the OS9 Monitors control panel. I've played around rebooting it a couple of times and it's coming up correctly every time. (Now that I have OS9 booting on a MBP with internal SSD, I can say I've never seen OS9 boot so fast! It's amazing!)