Unreal Tournament on QEMU (UTM)

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Nowhere Man
Student Driver

Unreal Tournament on QEMU (UTM)

Post by Nowhere Man »

Software rendering, of course:

This is impressive. It looks good, sounds good and runs pretty well on my M1 mini. It's actually playable.
Bruninho
Tinkerer

Re: Unreal Tournament on QEMU (UTM)

Post by Bruninho »

Its actually very good. Since you are on M1 Mac, I think you can get the linux version using 3d if you install Ubuntu ARM64 with virtio-gpu-gl.

I got one or two Direct3D games running on Windows 11 ARM64 through UTM on my M1 MacBook Air, not very playable, but it was expected, I'm on M1 Air but on M1 Pro it should be much better.

As for native classic Mac games, it just shows that we really need a port of DOSBox or PCem's voodoo card for QEMU to be used on UTM, in order to unleash a gaming beast here. Or any ATi card. The potential is there, just need someone to unlock it.

Any other interesting games with software rendering engine to try out on MacOS 9.2 and UTM? I'd be interested in trying them out.

I noticed that you also have DOSBox installed, though I didn't have much luck trying to play games on it and a Win98 install - it always crashes.

I am yet to choose and build a VM for an OS X machine on UTM, but first I need to optimize my current machines, including OS 9.2.2

For Apple II emulation I found a free option called OpenEmulator on github, it's not as good as the Apple ][ (paid) emulator, but does the job nicely for my dads nostalgia moments.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

For those of you playing with UTM: if you go to the Github page for UTM, it's got the UTM v3.0.2 beta available. This version has a basic setup wizard and built-in support for the Apple Virtual Machine, which can boot macOS 12 and various flavours of Linux. It does a REALLY good job of this, with the VMs running at essentially native speeds for me, with full hardware access. Better than the QEMU aarch64 virtualization.
psh
Tinkerer

Post by psh »

adespoton wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:00 pm For those of you playing with UTM: if you go to the Github page for UTM, it's got the UTM v3.0.2 beta available. This version has a basic setup wizard and built-in support for the Apple Virtual Machine, which can boot macOS 12 and various flavours of Linux. It does a REALLY good job of this, with the VMs running at essentially native speeds for me, with full hardware access. Better than the QEMU aarch64 virtualization.
is it UTM for Windows or Mac?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

psh wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:24 am
adespoton wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:00 pm For those of you playing with UTM: if you go to the Github page for UTM, it's got the UTM v3.0.2 beta available. This version has a basic setup wizard and built-in support for the Apple Virtual Machine, which can boot macOS 12 and various flavours of Linux. It does a REALLY good job of this, with the VMs running at essentially native speeds for me, with full hardware access. Better than the QEMU aarch64 virtualization.
is it UTM for Windows or Mac?
We're talking about UTM - Universal Turing Machine for macOS and i*OS, not the billing software for Windows. It's a front-end for QEMU with the SPICE tools enabled. Version 3 also acts as a front end for the macOS-native Apple VM environment that will virtualize macOS 12 and above. It's written in xCode with SwiftUI for the front end and Cocoa/ObjectiveC/C for the back end, with dependencies on python3 and zsh scripting -- possible to port to Windows, but unlikely; easier to create a new front-end with Spice support in .Net.