Claris programs running out of memory

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

SFC
Space Cadet

Claris programs running out of memory

Post by SFC »

I'm running Basilisk II on my windows machine that is emulating a classic mac II running mac os 7.5.3 rev 2. All runs really well except for some Claris programs like Claris CAD 2.0v3.
When I launch the program I get a dialog box stating there is not enough memory to open the program. I click ok and the program launches but I cannot open any files. I have more than enough ram allocated to the mac II to run the software (128k). Any help on getting this to run is greatly appreciated, there are many old files that I need to get info from.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Claris programs running out of memory

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

SFC wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:01 pm I have more than enough ram allocated to the mac II to run the software (128k).
I suppose you mean 128MB. These emulators usually need more memory than the original 'real' machines. Try 256MB.
Also, make sure the application is copied to your virtual HD before using it.
SFC
Space Cadet

Post by SFC »

Thank you for the reply. I increased the ram as suggested and verified the program is on the virtual hd, however still no luck. I even increased the
program memory requirements to allot addition memory when it opens. I was also trying the memory control panel and found that the emulator will lock up if trying to set a ram disk and will not start the operating system.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Maybe the application tries to use virtual memory, which does not work in BasiliskII. With VM enabled in Memory control panel, the control panel will report not enough space available for VM, no matter the size of your virtual HD.

Try switching off VM in Memory control panel.