Viewing JPG, BMP, PNG ISO and SIT in BasiliskII

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

StickyChannel92
Space Cadet

Viewing JPG, BMP, PNG ISO and SIT in BasiliskII

Post by StickyChannel92 »

(man, I haven't been on this forum in a few years. Glad I'm back again)

Hey there, I was looking for a way to import and view JPG, BMP, and PNG images, but the emulator just says that JPG, BMP and PNG doesn't exist on the Macintosh.
I also can't find a way to install certain ISO files by importing it to the disk image, and simply double-clicking it in the emulator. It also doesn't recognize ISO either. Double-clicking on certain iso files made for modern Apple laptops on a Windows platform says the file is corrupted. So how come these guys (https://archive.org/details/cbget-ready-for-school) install such a thing?
I'm also unable to extract SIT files from certain games, like https://www.macintoshrepository.org/538 ... lie-brown-.

Q1: How can I view jpg, bmp, and/or png images on BasiliskII? If they need to be converted, what file extension should these "images" have? Or do I just need a photo viewer (and the name of it)?
Q2: How do I install games and software bundled inside iso files?
Q3: What is the maximum capacity a disk image can hold? 256MB?
Q4: How do I extract said SIT game using StuffIt? Do I use DropStuff?
jonirob
Tinkerer

Re: Viewing JPG, BMP, PNG ISO and SIT in BasiliskII

Post by jonirob »

I use Adobe Photoshop 3.0.1 Deluxe for Mac to view jpg and bmp images in Basilisk II.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

You'll need a number of helper applications and extensions to do what you want.

First off, you'll want an early version of GraphicConverter (likely 4.x) by Thornsten Lemke. He's still making the product today, but the earliest versions (0.x through 4.x) are 68k compatible.

Secondly, you'll want the control panel Mt. Everything and system extensions Joliet Volume Access as well as the CD-ROM extension and the ISO-9660 extension that come with later 68k OSes. These will let you mount ISO style images with non-HFS filesystems (Joliet, ISO-9660, DOS) on them.

You'll also need Stuffit Expander 5.5 to ensure you can expand all versions of Stuffit and Compact Pro archives. And because the file association data is in the resource fork, you'll likely want Internet Config for earlier OS versions -- it was bundled into the later versions I believe. This program automatically associates file types based on MIME type or file extension and configures default applications for each file type. Early Mac OS versions don't have this capability, and rely completely on the file type and creator codes for opening files with an associated application.

All of this is available at the Macintosh Garden.

Now to answer your questions more specifically:

Q1: How can I view jpg, bmp, and/or png images on BasiliskII? If they need to be converted, what file extension should these "images" have? Or do I just need a photo viewer (and the name of it)?
A1: Using GraphicConverter 4. It can open all these (and other) file types and convert between them.
Q2: How do I install games and software bundled inside iso files?
A2: You go into Basilisk II preferences and add the iso file, ensure it's set to be read-only, and reboot BII. The image will show up on the desktop as a CD, or give you a "this disk is unreadable" dialog if you don't have the right file system extension loaded to read that type of file system. You can't insert/eject a CD while the emulator is running, but you CAN have dozens of them mounted at once.
Q3: What is the maximum capacity a disk image can hold? 256MB?
A3: Depends on the OS version. I'd recommend staying below 1GB to avoid edge cases.
Q4: How do I extract said SIT game using StuffIt? Do I use DropStuff?
A4: no, using Stuffit Expander, Stuffit Lite, Stuffit Deluxe, or Shrinkwrap. DropStuff is for creating stuffit archives.
StickyChannel92
Space Cadet

OK, most of it works, except for Mt Everything. It closes immediately upon opening. I tried both files from Macintosh Garden and both do the same thing except the second file has an icon. The text files don't open either. :/

I'm also looking for a way to view .mov files. I can't seem to open them in QuickTime, because the file icon is blank and .mov files don't appear in the file opener for QuickTime. I do know how to access my C:\ drive from Mac OS, however.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

You should be able to open .mov files from within QuickTime, or use something like FileBuddy to add the proper file type and creator to the files.

To access your C:\ drive, you need to create a shared folder in the prefs. Don't work on stuff in the shared folder directly; copy it over to a mounted disk image inside BII to work on it, and copy it back to the host via the shared folder when you're done.
StickyChannel92
Space Cadet

This is what I got instead: https://imgur.com/a/XadU0tp

I have serious problems with file associations for now. How do I find out what "File Type:" any file is? (e.g. the extension .img having a file type "dimg")
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

SFC
Space Cadet

Post by SFC »

I use jpegview, you can download it from mac repository, it allows me to import, view and use jpeg images
StickyChannel92
Space Cadet

The files don't seem to have any information, and adding a file type doesn't seem to work. https://imgur.com/a/PRZ2Wdr
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

The Choose... button lets you associate them with a known application.

But in your current case, you can just drag the file over Stuffit Expander, as its a .sit file. Stuffit Expander should recognize it even without a type/creator or resource fork, and decompress it.
StickyChannel92
Space Cadet

adespoton wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:40 am The Choose... button lets you associate them with a known application.

But in your current case, you can just drag the file over Stuffit Expander, as its a .sit file. Stuffit Expander should recognize it even without a type/creator or resource fork, and decompress it.
It turns out that the correct files I needed for the game were not where_is_the_blanket.iso_1.sit or where_is_the_blanket.iso_2.sit, but Snoopy.iso_.sit. That is the file I was looking for. But the mov files don't want to open for some reason, even if I choose the file association for it: https://imgur.com/a/I9G00xd All I did was import a mov file from my Windows 11 computer to the disk image. What do I need to use in order for it to work correctly? A converter?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

.mov is an interesting one, actually. It represents "QuickTime Video", but really it's one of two container types: it's either a "modern" QuickTime container that contains an MPEG stream, or it's a "classic" QuickTime container that could contain all sorts of multimedia content in a variety of encodings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QuickTime

If you want a QuickTime video to play on a 68K Mac (or emulator), it has to be QuickTime 1.x or 2.x compatible. This means the encoded video has to be in one of the following formats (assuming you've got QuickTime 2.x installed):

Apple Animation
Apple Video
Apple Graphics
Cinepak
MIDI

MPEG playback (MPEG-1 and later) require a PowerPC processor, as do most of the other formats. I seem to recall early Sorenson video technically played on 68k (the videos opened), but you couldn't actually "watch" anything encoded in it; maximum FPS was something like 4 FPS.

But your issue is "file was not found" -- is it possible it's a QuickTime container with external assets... the some of the actual contents literally aren't there?

Or is it that the file name is more than 32 characters?

Also, which version of QuickTime do you have installed?
StickyChannel92
Space Cadet

I just installed QuickTime 2.5.1; the videos don't show up in the file opener, and opening one that has the QuickTime file type and creator 4-character "strings" doesn't want to open. (see https://imgur.com/a/I9G00xdthis for proof)
But your issue is "file was not found" -- is it possible it's a QuickTime container with external assets... the some of the actual contents literally aren't there?

It's probably the first reason. Either the file has more than 32 characters or not, the files don't open, don't show up in QuickTime file opener, or show up as blank windows in QuickTime.
I think the mov files from Windows aren't compatible with my Mac. If it doesn't work, do I need to convert my original mp4 files to some other format? Or something else?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

StickyChannel92 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:49 am I just installed QuickTime 2.5.1; the videos don't show up in the file opener, and opening one that has the QuickTime file type and creator 4-character "strings" doesn't want to open. (see https://imgur.com/a/I9G00xdthis for proof)

It's probably the first reason. Either the file has more than 32 characters or not, the files don't open, don't show up in QuickTime file opener, or show up as blank windows in QuickTime.
I think the mov files from Windows aren't compatible with my Mac. If it doesn't work, do I need to convert my original mp4 files to some other format? Or something else?
The important part is where I said "MPEG format video requires PowerPC processors" -- you'll need to convert the videos from MPEG-4 to something from the list I posted -- Cinepak is your best bet.