Transferring .dsk files between Mac and Windows

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

uliwitness
Student Driver

Transferring .dsk files between Mac and Windows

Post by uliwitness »

This used to work, but (I think since I updated to the newest Windows version) SheepShaver for Windows will not read files generated by the Mac version and vice versa. However, when used on the same OS they work fine.

Test setup: Newest SheepShaver for Mac on 10.13, Newest SheepShaver for Windows on Win11, running 9.0.4

1. I copy a random big file on MacOS X (187.2MB in size) rename it to stacksnfloppies.dsk and select it as a hard disk in SheepShaver for Mac
2. I start up SheepShaver for Mac, MacOS 9 asks me to format. I do so (Standard or Extended makes no difference)
3. I copy a bunch of files from the Unix drive into the new hard disk using OS 9. (the files have resource forks on the Mac, don't think that makes a difference).
4. I shut down MacOS 9.
5. I mount the Mac's hard disk on my Windows PC via SMB and copy over the DSK file. (I've also tried using a FAT32-formatted USB memory stick)
6. I select the DSK in SheepShaverGUI on Windows and start up SheepShaver for Windows.
7. SheepShaver asks me to format the disk.

The same happens if I format on Windows and then try to open on MacOS X. The drive works fine if I just use it on the platform it was created on.

Also, if I create .img files on SheepShaver for MacOS X, copy them to the Unix drive, and then copy those over to the Windows machine, via its Unix drive, I can't mount them either. MountImage gives an error -39.

Anyone have an idea what to do to fix this?
Cheers,
-- Uli Kusterer
https://hypercard.org
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Transferring .dsk files between Mac and Windows

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I suppose you run MacOS 9 on both the OSX and Windows version.

Instead of starting with a "random big file", did you try starting with a new disk image created with SheepShaver preferences in OSX or with the SheepShaver GUI in Windows?
uliwitness
Student Driver

Post by uliwitness »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:35 am Instead of starting with a "random big file", did you try starting with a new disk image created with SheepShaver preferences in OSX or with the SheepShaver GUI in Windows?
Thanks, that works! I wasn't even aware that this button was there. I distinctly remember hearing somewhere "oh just create an empty file for a disk, why would you need a GUI", otherwise I would never have done it this way. Guess it pays to occasionally step back and look for new buttons after an update :lol:

Did the format change? Is it not really a file format but the file needs to be a proper multiple of some size? Just out of professional curiosity, how come these work on one platform but not the other?
Last edited by uliwitness on Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers,
-- Uli Kusterer
https://hypercard.org
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I really do not know. But creating a new disk image with SheepShaver (or GUI) creates a truly empty file. Maybe there is something about a "random" existing file that is not removed with initialization.