Remount disk images on restart

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ddybing
Space Cadet

Remount disk images on restart

Post by ddybing »

Hi!

I am running the latest version of Mini vMac. Is there any way to have the emulator automatically mount disk images after the guest system has been restarted?
If you restart it now (using Special>Restart) it will just reboot to the flashing floppy drive icon. Any way to make it automatically look for the disk image just like a normal boot?

Thanks!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Remount disk images on restart

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Mini vMac looks for disk images named "disk1.dsk", "disk2.dsk", "disk3.dsk", etc. in that order. Make the boot disk "disk1.dsk". I do not know if there is a maximum number of disks it will automatically mount. I have a setup with five disks.
ddybing
Space Cadet

Post by ddybing »

Thank you for your answer.

Yes, I am aware that it looks for those disks on startup, and that works fine. What I was wondering is whether it is possible to set Mini vMac to look for those files also after a restart from within the guest system. If I go to Special>Restart, the virtual Mac reboots and then stops at the flashing floppy drive. I then need to drag the disk manually onto vMac for it to boot. This is what I was hoping to avoid.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The emulator looks for the disks when launched. It does indeed not work when the system is restarted inside the running emulator. When a restart is needed, better shut down and start again.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:43 pm The emulator looks for the disks when launched. It does indeed not work when the system is restarted inside the running emulator. When a restart is needed, better shut down and start again.
[edit] hah... I missed the "not" in your response Ronald. Editing below :)

I've always had to quit and restart the app to get the autoboot feature to work. Selecting "Shut Down" results in a Shut Down screen or quitting app, depending on the ROM/OS combo used, and Restart ejects all disks and leaves the user at the flashing question mark.

Maybe it's worth dropping a note on Paul's forum asking for a compile-time option to disable ejecting disks on restart? I know I'd appreciate diskX.dsk not getting ejected on restart too, but I know of no way to do that currently.
Admiral Mackbar
Space Cadet

Post by Admiral Mackbar »

Would it be possible to have the host mount/unmount/remount disks and have the content available on Mini vMac to share over AppleTalk?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Admiral Mackbar wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:11 am Would it be possible to have the host mount/unmount/remount disks and have the content available on Mini vMac to share over AppleTalk?
Possible, yes -- but someone's going to have to code that up, and Paul's been taking a break from Mini vMac for a few years.

I presume what you're asking for is a follow-on to my request for diskX.dsk images, which are currently auto-mounted on boot, to be auto-ejected on reboot, but then auto-remounted?

I'm unsure what you mean by "have the content available on Mini vMac to share over AppleTalk" -- do you mean you want Mini vMac to include an AppleTalk shim such that you can have a folder on the host that presents itself as an AppleTalk share within Mini vMac?