How to install multi-disk application on OS8?

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

RollingRocker
Space Cadet

How to install multi-disk application on OS8?

Post by RollingRocker »

I want to install a multi-disk application, Lotus 1-2-3 Mac, which is split on 3 disks.
How do I mount disks 2 & 3 when the installer asks for those disks?
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: How to install multi-disk application on OS8?

Post by Cat_7 »

Can you not simple add all three disks to the volumes list?

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

The other solution is to copy all three disks to a folder on the boot image; depending on the type of installer, this can auto-install without asking for disks at all or fail to do anything.
RollingRocker
Space Cadet

Post by RollingRocker »

Cat_7 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:46 pm Can you not simple add all three disks to the volumes list?

Best,
Cat_7
When I do that, the Mac boots up and I see all three disks in addition to my startup HD volume.
I run the installer on disk 1. It then asks me to please insert the disk "untitled" which is the name of my boot volume, and I am stuck, because it is assigned but presumably was dumped by the installer.
(lotus 1-2-3 1.2 mac)
RollingRocker
Space Cadet

Post by RollingRocker »

adespoton wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:22 am The other solution is to copy all three disks to a folder on the boot image; depending on the type of installer, this can auto-install without asking for disks at all or fail to do anything.
I tried that as well but the installer asks for disk 2, and won't continue installing.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

How did you copy the disks?

Drag the disk icons from the desktop to a folder that you created for that purpose. The disk images will be copied as folders with the exact same name as the disk images. Remove all the installer disks from the volumes list. Start BasiliskII again and start with the installer in the first folder. For most installers this will work, the second folder will be recognised as the second disk.

If this does not work, exactly which software do you try to install, where did you get the disk images?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

This is indeed weird. I tried to install Lotus 1-2-3 (downloaded from Macintosh Garden). The installation is not even started. The installer apparently wants to install on my startup disk (regardless the target location I choose), but it seems to not recognise that the disk is already available. The installer asks to insert/mount that disk. The only way out is to force quit BasiliskII.