SheepShaver HD disk image limit

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

frankk_
Space Cadet

SheepShaver HD disk image limit

Post by frankk_ »

The installation tutorial for Windows clearly says that only the 2GB image can be created in the SS GUI. However, I found many indications that it is possible to use a larger HD image. But I can't make the larger disk image visible in the Mac OS installer. I tried using all of the macintosh garden images with no success - it's like my SS just won't use them and that's about it. It is possible to perform installation itself but than after restart i get only floppy with question mark like there is no HD even if it is set as startup disk in GUI and there is all data written on it by installer...

I tried to find a step-by-step tutorial on how to install Mac OS in SS with a disk larger than 2 GB but I don't think there is one ... can anyone confirm it?

If there is such tutorial can anyone put a link to it here for me plz?

Cheers
Frank
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: SheepShaver HD disk image limit

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Then that suggestion not to create a disk bigger than 2Gb is sound advise ;-)
I guess you are running into the limitation that Mac OS cannot boot from a first partition bigger than 2Gb.
So while you can use bigger disks, these have to be partitioned into multiple partitions where the first is not bigger than 2Gb.
However, SheepShaver and Basilisk actually treat disks as big floppies and do not have all info on the disk image one would normally find on a disk. Hence you cannot partition the disk using the drive setup tools in Mac OS.

What you can try is to install on a 2Gb disk, create a e.g. 4 Gb disk and copy all the content of the 2Gb disk to the 4Gb disk. Then make sure the system folder is active and try to boot from it.
However, stability and reliability might suffer. Why not install on a 2Gb disk and add a second bigger disk for your data?

Best,
Cat_7