Error: Could not copy ROM file to this application. Sorry

About unsupported SheepShaver configurations, like COI (Chubby Bunny), SheepShaver Wrapper, etc.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

JB Fletcher
Space Cadet

Error: Could not copy ROM file to this application. Sorry

Post by JB Fletcher »

Hi!

I used New World PPC from Redundant Robot, made sure to change its name to "Mac OS ROM", and removed the extension, but anytime I drag the ROM onto the application, I get the error message "Could not copy ROM file to this application. Sorry."

I tried installing on the application "Old World 4mb ROM" too, but at first I received a message saying that the ROM hadn't been tried on SheepShaver and could have caused problems, but as soon as I dismissed that message, the one I received for New World reappeared too.

I can't find any solutions for this even on this forum, so any help would be great.

My machine is running macOS Mojave 10.14.6

All files and applications were taken out of the download folder.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Error: Could not copy ROM file to this application. Sorry

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

With a regular SheepShaver setup you do not drop the ROM file onto the application, you put it into the SheepShaver folder.

Maybe you use the SheepShaver Wrapper? The instructions for the Wrapper are indeed to drop the ROM file onto the application.

For a regular SheepShaver setup, see the setup manual: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... os_x_setup
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

That's the SheepShaver Wrapper. That error message means only the shell cp command (the command to copy the file) failed for some reason. Try moving the application to another folder (maybe your desktop) and try again. I have no idea of why it might not work when you try it.

I downloaded the same file from the Redundant Robot site, unzipped it, changed its name to Mac OS ROM (making certain that there was no extension), dragged it on to the SheepShaver Wrapper, and the app copied the ROM file successfully.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Maybe the file name extension was not removed but just hidden? You can check that in Finder Info panel for the file. Select the file icon in the Finder and hit command-I. If the extension is still there, you can remove it in the Info panel.
JB Fletcher
Space Cadet

Post by JB Fletcher »

emendelson wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:38 pm Try moving the application to another folder (maybe your desktop) and try again. I have no idea of why it might not work when you try it.
And that's the only thing I needed to do, apparently! I had already moved all the folders and files from the download folder and had put them on my desktop, as all the lists of instructions I found suggested doing so, so I tried creating a new, empty folder and moving all the files in there and it successfully installed!

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:46 pm Maybe the file name extension was not removed but just hidden? You can check that in Finder Info panel for the file. Select the file icon in the Finder and hit command-I. If the extension is still there, you can remove it in the Info panel.
Even if I solved this already, I'm going to address this in case someone might need help with it later on: that was my original mistake, not removing the .rom and just leaving it hidden, and the error message it would give me would say that the application only accepts files named "Mac OS ROM" or disk images, a completely different message from what I was getting. The error message from the title began showing up whenever I tried to drop the ROM file on SheepShaver after I removed the extension through the info panel.

Anyways, thank you both!