Basilisk II immediately quits when I start

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Basilisk II immediately quits when I start

Post by adespoton »

Inside Basilisk II, at the emulated desktop, go to the Apple menu -> Control Panels -> Monitors. That's where you set screen size and depth.

If you're in black and white mode, something did not go correctly during initial system setup, as you should be in thousands or millions of colors mode.
Tornevas
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Tornevas »

adespoton wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:10 am Inside Basilisk II, at the emulated desktop, go to the Apple menu -> Control Panels -> Monitors. That's where you set screen size and depth.

If you're in black and white mode, something did not go correctly during initial system setup, as you should be in thousands or millions of colors mode.
Lets see, it has filled colors blocks (grays is above) and the colors is set to millions?

I guess the apple logo is rainbow, so it can't be black and white, but something has to be wrong, I feel.

Also on the bottom of the monitors window under "changes take effect when monitors is closed", there's a grey box with a giant 1 inside it.

Do I do anything in the monitors, what should I check the screensize and depth? It says "Mac HiRes Std Gamma" and "1024 x 768, 754z" are selected.
Tornevas
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Tornevas »

What it said earlier was game "Requires the monitor to be set to 256 colors", so I think the colors are indeed off, but I have no idea how to fix it?

I still need to know what is causing the slowness with AitD1 as well?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Tornevas wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:07 am
adespoton wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:02 am Is your entire emulated Mac OS running slow? If so, it could be your screen resolution. What do you have it set to? And what color depth do you have set in the Monitors control panel?
Is screen resolution and the monitors control panel in the Basilisk II Gui? Because I only see volumes, Graphics/Sound, Keyboard/Mouse, Ports, System and JIT?
The screen resolution can be pre-set in the GUI (Window height and width), but it can also be adjusted in Monitors control panel, like the color depth can be set in Monitors control panel.
The Monitors control panel is not in the GUI. It is, like all 7.5.3 control panels, in the guest system in the emulated machine. You can access the control panels through the Apple menu.
Tornevas
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Tornevas »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:35 am
Tornevas wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:07 am
adespoton wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:02 am Is your entire emulated Mac OS running slow? If so, it could be your screen resolution. What do you have it set to? And what color depth do you have set in the Monitors control panel?
Is screen resolution and the monitors control panel in the Basilisk II Gui? Because I only see volumes, Graphics/Sound, Keyboard/Mouse, Ports, System and JIT?
The screen resolution can be pre-set in the GUI (Window height and width), but it can also be adjusted in Monitors control panel, like the color depth can be set in Monitors control panel.
The Monitors control panel is not in the GUI. It is, like all 7.5.3 control panels, in the guest system in the emulated machine. You can access the control panels through the Apple menu.
Have you tried running AloneCD.toast a bit, how is the game speed for you?

Also where does monitor's control panel allow me to set the colors to 256?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Tornevas wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:29 pmHave you tried running AloneCD.toast a bit, how is the game speed for you?
I cannot answer that. I never play games, I do not understand games, I have no idea what to do and why. It looks OK to me at first sight, but I do not know what I should expect.
Also where does monitor's control panel allow me to set the colors to 256?
When you open Monitors control panel it is right in front of you. "Settings of selected monitor" with at the left radio buttons to choose between Grays and Colors and next to that you can select between Black&White, 4, 16, 256, Thousands, and Millions.
Tornevas
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Tornevas »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:52 pm I cannot answer that. I never play games, I do not understand games, I have no idea what to do and why. It looks OK to me at first sight, but I do not know what I should expect.

If its ok to ask, could you just select a character, press enter to skip the intro and than once the gameplay starts, trying moving around with the arrow keys?

You can hold shift and press the arrow keys to run. I just wanna know the speed.
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:52 pm When you open Monitors control panel it is right in front of you. "Settings of selected monitor" with at the left radio buttons to choose between Grays and Colors and next to that you can select between Black&White, 4, 16, 256, Thousands, and Millions.
Its on Millions with Colors filled on the left for me? So why does it say I need to set to 256 colors when I start a game?

Also is there a way I can attach a file on this site, for screenshot purposes? I need to know what I'm doing wrong?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Tornevas wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:12 pm
Its on Millions with Colors filled on the left for me? So why does it say I need to set to 256 colors when I start a game?

Also is there a way I can attach a file on this site, for screenshot purposes? I need to know what I'm doing wrong?
There's a limited amount of RAM available for graphics on older systems. If you're in thousands of colors mode and the game is expecting 256, the color look up table will be incorrect.

Best to set your emulated system to 256 colors; this might even speed up your game.

Screenshots are usually done via third party services; many use imgurl, I use flickr.
Tornevas
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Tornevas »

adespoton wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:18 am There's a limited amount of RAM available for graphics on older systems. If you're in thousands of colors mode and the game is expecting 256, the color look up table will be incorrect.

Best to set your emulated system to 256 colors; this might even speed up your game.

Maybe the living books/Story painting games are a little faster, but there's still some flashing colors and Alone in the Dark is just as impossibly slow.

https://youtu.be/iSwYY2eoKhQ?t=513

See this video of an animation of the character walking down the stairs, when I do it, it takes four whole minutes for the player character to finish the "walking down stairs" animation. I want to know if Alone in the Dark toast has that problem for anyone else.

Also this in addition to the stair stuck glitch.
adespoton wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:18 am
Screenshots are usually done via third party services; many use imgurl, I use flickr.
I just want something for quick and easy images, I don't wanna archive for very long. Some forums allow users to attach a file to a post, I'm guessing Emaculation doesn't have that option?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Yes, the chosen character moves very slowly. Must be something in the emulation. I cannot imagine it has anything to do with the game being distributed on a .toast image.

Older games usually require limiting color depth to 256 colors.

We do not allow attaching files to posts. If you want to show an image in your post, you upload the image to some place on the net that is accessible and in your post link to it using the image BBCode (see the row of icons above the text box where you compose your post).
Tornevas
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Tornevas »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:43 am Yes, the chosen character moves very slowly. Must be something in the emulation. I cannot imagine it has anything to do with the game being distributed on a .toast image.
Sure, I'm wondring if there's any way to get it to work on Basilisk II, would sheep saver work?

How easy is sheep saver to set up on OSX, is it harder than Basilisk II?
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:43 am We do not allow attaching files to posts. If you want to show an image in your post, you upload the image to some place on the net that is accessible and in your post link to it using the image BBCode (see the row of icons above the text box where you compose your post).
Right, I'll look for a site that can hold images for a few days.

That said, I'm thinking the problem is with Basilisk II as a whole rather than something I set up wrong, now.

Anyone feel free to tell me if Alone in the Dark works normal for them on Basilisk II? Or if anyone in this thread is wiling to try it on sheep saver and see if the slow glitchyness continues?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Tornevas wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:43 pmSure, I'm wondring if there's any way to get it to work on Basilisk II, would sheep saver work?
I tried the game in SheepShaver. It is only marginally faster, or rather a tiny bit less slow. Stil too slow to play the game.
Tornevas
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Tornevas »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:46 am
Tornevas wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:43 pmSure, I'm wondring if there's any way to get it to work on Basilisk II, would sheep saver work?
I tried the game in SheepShaver. It is only marginally faster, or rather a tiny bit less slow. Stil too slow to play the game.
Thats unfortunate, I saw at least one video of the mac version supposedly being played on android's basilisk II?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvrOkS0EzEw

I wonder how I play it?

For reference, the mac version of Alone in the Dark has notable differences from the windows and steam version including different controls, a new music, and a different gameover among other things.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

It look like our experimental qemu build with audio support running Mac OS 9.2 runs the game fine.
I've been eaten alive twice now.

Best,
Cat_7
Tornevas
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Tornevas »

Cat_7 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:50 pm Hi,

It look like our experimental qemu build with audio support running Mac OS 9.2 runs the game fine.
I've been eaten alive twice now.

Best,
Cat_7
Sounds great, what can I install it on, do the same steps for setting up basilisk II apply to the qemu build??
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Ha,

There is a snag, setting up Qemu is very much a manual and command line job.
See here: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/pp ... mu-for-osx

Best,
Cat_7
Tornevas
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Tornevas »

Cat_7 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:25 am Ha,

There is a snag, setting up Qemu is very much a manual and command line job.
See here: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/pp ... mu-for-osx

Best,
Cat_7
So you have to use terminal, right?

Can you use it on windows too?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Sure, see our downloads and guide.

Download: https://surfdrive.surf.nl/files/index.p ... S/download
Guide: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/pp ... or-windows

For windows you can edit a bat file and run it.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

This thread drifted off-topic a long way.

It starts with questions about setting up BasiliskII.
Then about adding a game CD disk image.
Then about different disk images working or not working.
Then about setting screen resolution and color depth.
Then about an unusable slow running game (Alone in the Dark).
Then about using QEMU instead of BasiliskII.

I suggest not to post anymore in this topic.

If you have questions about setting up QEMU, please open a new topic in the appropriate QEMU forum here.