How to emulate MacOS Mojave? (OSX 10.14)

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Unbreakify
Student Driver

How to emulate MacOS Mojave? (OSX 10.14)

Post by Unbreakify »

Recently, on november 30th, MacOS Mojave went out of support.

Im curious how you emulate this, as some folk on CollabVM (unrelated) got OSX 10.14 working.
Is there any way to emulate OSX 10.14 on software, or vmware by any chance?

I am using an AMD processor. :smile:
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: How to emulate MacOS Mojave? (OSX 10.14)

Post by adespoton »

We aren't covering qemu-system-x86-64 on here. The info you want is available at https://github.com/kholia/OSX-KVM

I DO have a config for UTM (macOS front end for QEMU), but it's based on the OSX-KVM binaries.

For what it's worth, QEMU emulates Mojave quite well, if a bit slowly.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

There are many guides on how to run Mojave etc in Virtualbox or VMWare.
One is here: https://www.wikigain.com/install-macos- ... x-windows/

Best,
Cat_7
Unbreakify
Student Driver

Post by Unbreakify »

Cat_7 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:21 am Hi,

Best,
Cat_7
Thats the issue, although i wont talk about it here, it does not work for me as expected.
The only place i thought to come was here. Thanks for helping, though!
Unbreakify
Student Driver

Post by Unbreakify »

Cat_7 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:21 am Hi,

Best,
Cat_7
I've followed every step with the vmware one, but all i get is "The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system. Power off or reset the virtual machine." Nonstop. I have tried for numerous fixes, but to no avail.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Did you check my link? For AMD processors, you're going to have to supply your own EFI with the appropriate strings to make it look like you're running a Penryn CPU. Should work just fine; I had it running under VirtualBox, VMWare and qemu-system-x86_64.

Since AMD isn't GenuineIntel, it won't work by default with virtualization. You have to emulate an Intel chip that's actually on the macOS allowed list.
Unbreakify
Student Driver

Post by Unbreakify »

adespoton wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:50 pm Did you check my link? For AMD processors, you're going to have to supply your own EFI with the appropriate strings to make it look like you're running a Penryn CPU. Should work just fine; I had it running under VirtualBox, VMWare and qemu-system-x86_64.

Since AMD isn't GenuineIntel, it won't work by default with virtualization. You have to emulate an Intel chip that's actually on the macOS allowed list.
Please elaborate further, i am new to this kind of "hackintoshing" you could say.
Unbreakify
Student Driver

Post by Unbreakify »

adespoton wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:50 pm Did you check my link? For AMD processors, you're going to have to supply your own EFI with the appropriate strings to make it look like you're running a Penryn CPU. Should work just fine; I had it running under VirtualBox, VMWare and qemu-system-x86_64.

I dunno if you meant i can or cant emulate mojave with qemu, if your wondering.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

What's your host OS? If you're running Linux, then the Kholia instructions and files are all you need. If you're running Windows, you'll need to grab the OVMF.bin and EFI-Legacy.img files, set OVMF.bin as your BIOS and EFI-Legacy.img as a USB disk image, then add in your install image (either a Mojave install iso or BaseSystem.dng), add in your blank target volume, and boot. OVMF will boot EFI-Legacy.img to a volume selection menu, where you can select the installer image to boot from. Note that you'll need to set your CPU to penryn with a few SSE flags.
Unbreakify
Student Driver

Post by Unbreakify »

adespoton wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:03 pm What's your host OS? If you're running Linux, then the Kholia instructions and files are all you need. If you're running Windows, you'll need to grab the OVMF.bin and EFI-Legacy.img files, set OVMF.bin as your BIOS and EFI-Legacy.img as a USB disk image, then add in your install image (either a Mojave install iso or BaseSystem.dng), add in your blank target volume, and boot. OVMF will boot EFI-Legacy.img to a volume selection menu, where you can select the installer image to boot from. Note that you'll need to set your CPU to penryn with a few SSE flags.
Windows 10 x64-bit.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »