Help needed for testing BasiliskII in recent macOS on Intel

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Help needed for testing BasiliskII in recent macOS on Intel

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

We need your help for testing BasiliskII on recent versions of macOS, specifically macOS 11 (Big Sur) and macOS 12 (Monterey) on Intel Mac.
(The build runs fine natively in macOS 11 (Big Sur) on Apple Silicon and in macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) on Intel.)

It seems that the recently posted universal builds crash on launch in newer macOS versions on Intel.
But neither kanjitalk755 nor I have access to an Intel Mac that can run these recent macOS versions.

1. Can you confirm that the currently posted universal build crashes on launch in MacOS 11 or 12 on Intel?
https://www.emaculation.com/basilisk/Ba ... 210801.zip

2. Can you confirm that this test build runs in MacOS 11 or 12 on Intel?
https://www.emaculation.com/basilisk/Ba ... 211113.zip

Help is much appreciated.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Re: Help needed for testing BasiliskII in recent macOS on Intel

Post by emendelson »

Testing on an Intel 2015 MacBook Air, macOS Big Sur 11.6.1, both of these builds run correctly. There is no crash with either one.

I'll be able to test them later on Monterey on another Intel Mac later today. (I don't have an Apple Silicon Mac at the moment.)

Here is the prefs file that I'm using. The disk image and ROM are the same as in my standalone System 761 app.

Code: Select all

disk /Users/edward/SheepShaver/basiliskii.sparsebundle
extfs /Users/edward/Documents
screen win/1024/768
seriala 
serialb /dev/null
ether slirp
udptunnel false
udpport 6066
rom /Users/edward/SheepShaver/ROM
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 268435456
frameskip 6
modelid 5
cpu 3
fpu false
nocdrom false
nosound false
noclipconversion false
nogui false
jit false
jitfpu true
jitdebug false
jitcachesize 8192
jitlazyflush true
jitinline true
keyboardtype 5
keycodes false
keycodefile 
mousewheelmode 0
mousewheellines 0
dsp 
mixer 
ignoresegv true
idlewait false
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Interesting! And against expectations based on a few not very well documented reports.

Does the currently recommended 1 August 2021 build crash on Intel when JIT compiler is enabled in settings?

We can test on Apple Silicon ourselves. The 1 August 2021 universal BasiliskII will crash there if you attempt to run it with Rosetta 2 regardless JIT settings. The test build (with JIT compiler excluded at build time) does run with Rosetta 2.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

First, I can confirm that both builds run normally on an Intel 2015 MacBookPro, under both Big Sur and Monterey.

Second, back on my Intel MacBook Air (where I'm writing this message), both builds run normally with JIT compiler enabled.

It's not easy to fix a problem that can't be duplicated...!

PS: Two questions: First, is there any reason to run a universal build under Rosetta 2? Next, is it possible to make a universal build on an Apple Silicon machine? KanjiTalk755 explained how to make a universal build on an intel machine, and I used that method for my custom builds. I'll be traveling or busy for most of the next few days, but I could probably supply a universal build made on my Intel machine if needed.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

There is normally no reason for running a universal build under Rosetta 2. I just tried because of the reported crashes on Intel. Universal BasiliskII crashes under Rosetta 2, universal SheepShaver runs fine under Rosetta 2. The universal BasiliskII test build (with JIT compiler not included) does not crash under Rosetta 2.

Building a universal build on Apple Silicon is easy. The interface in Xcode 13.1 is different. Best use the new instructions posted on kanjitalk755/macemu.

First make changes you want in the project, then run the commands as suggested by kanjitalk755.

I only make two changes,. I change Deployment Target from 10.7 to 10.9 (and in Info Minimum System version accordingly) and (in two places) I change the Bundle Identifier.

The procedure is easy and the resulting build is universal. No need to make choices in Build Settings or about Debug vs Release version.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Thank you - when I have an Apple Silicon Mac again, I'll make a build according to your instructions. Thank you again!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Anyone else? Especially those who had the latest universal build crash on an Intel machine.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Testing on 2015 15" MBP running macOS Monterey:
20210801 runs fine, but locks up on shutdown.
20211113 runs fine, no lockup.
KnuddlMac
Granny Smith

Post by KnuddlMac »

Testing on 2019 13" MBP running macOS Monterey:
Both builds are fine.

BTW: Test run with "Speedometer" runs faster on version 20210801.
robbez99
Space Cadet

Post by robbez99 »

Neither of these builds can run on a 13" 2017 MBP with Monterey 12.1
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

If both builds will not run, there may be something wrong with your setup.

Is it a new BasiliskII installation?
If so, did you follow the setup guide, setting up BasiliskII with the GUI application?

Or is this in an existing setup and did earlier builds run properly?
Drachefly
Space Cadet

Post by Drachefly »

So, I'm not in the OS range specified up top, so this isn't exactly what you asked for: Early 2015 Macbook Air (using Intel i7), running 10.14.6 (Mojave)

So it shouldn't be a big shock that all versions fail - the 21-04-01, the 21-08-01, and the 21-11-13

Is there anything that might work on this OS range? This version is itself a bit out of date, and these threads are recent, so I guess there's some technical hurdle… yet you're also speaking of working on apple silicon, which is all very recent. So I'm a bit confused.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Both 1 August 2021 and 16 April 2021 builds should run fine in Mojave and even earlier OS versions. (This topic is about possible issues with later OS versions.)

Did you read all information in the download post below the BasiliskII download links?
Did you also download one of the GUI applications and did you follow the setup guide?

Without proper setup, no version of BasiliskII will run.

If you have questions about setting up BasiliskII, please start a new topic as this topic is about a different issue.
Drachefly
Space Cadet

Post by Drachefly »

Ah, I was thrown off by the numbering 11 and 12. Mojave is 10.14, after all…

I thought I followed the setup instructions. I guess I'll have to take another stab at it.
gingerbeardman
Tinkerer

Post by gingerbeardman »

adespoton wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:08 pm Testing on 2015 15" MBP running macOS Monterey:
20210801 runs fine, but locks up on shutdown.
20211113 runs fine, no lockup.
Can also confirm these results.

Is 20211113 the most recent build available? I see it's more recent than the one in the downloads thread.
• BasiliskII on iPad Pro 12.9": Macintosh IIci 32MB + System 7.5.5 + Deneba artWORKS & UltraPaint
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The 20211113 build is a special build without JIT compiler.
It seemed to prevent issues on a few Intel machines. But the issues appeared to be rare and not consistent. Most users do not experience issues at all. That is why this adaptation was not merged with the master branch.
See discussion with the developer kanjitalk755 here: https://github.com/kanjitalk755/macemu/issues/109

(The JIT compiler in BasiliskII is Intel only. It is not available on arm64.)
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:11 am Without proper setup, no version of BasiliskII will run.
If you search Google for "System761", the first link will lead to a page with my System761 app. This runs System 7.6.1 under BasiliskII with no setup at all.