Installing VMWare in Windows 10 causes a system error that makes both Sheepshaver and VMWare to stop working

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Installing VMWare in Windows 10 causes a system error that makes both Sheepshaver and VMWare to stop working

Post by adespoton »

That's probably due to how SheepShaver does memory allocation.
Access Violation Error
The error occurs when a program in Windows attempts to access a location or data from a location that is not assigned to it. This can occur with any Windows application due to registry issue, faulty RAM, corrupt drivers, virus infection, or incorrect security update, etc.
Error: Exception: Access violation error (0xc0000005) at ….

Application unable to start
The error pops up when you launch a program installed on your Windows PC such as Mozilla, VLC, Chrome browser, game, etc. Mostly, re-installation doesn’t help in fixing the issue as it’s caused by some invalid, unsigned, or incomplete DLL files that helps software to run on Windows platform.
Error: The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005)
SheepShaver attempts to load from address 0. If some other process has already allocated that memory space, you'll get that error.

Does the error persist if you reboot?
Mr^Burns
Space Cadet

Re: Installing VMWare in Windows 10 causes a system error that makes both Sheepshaver and VMWare to stop working

Post by Mr^Burns »

Yeah it's like stuck in Windows even if I remove either program, Sheepshaver will start once if I reinstall it, but if I close it and try again the error comes back.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Just to double confirm: the problem persists if you reboot your computer but do nothing else and attempt to run the programs?
Mr^Burns
Space Cadet

Post by Mr^Burns »

correct

Edit: After removing Sheepshaver and installing Vmware again then Vmware starts working again but it feels random, still doesn't solve the problem with Sheepshaver
Last edited by Mr^Burns on Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

This is very strange. I've been running VMWare and SheepShaver in Windows 10 and Windows 11 for many years without any problem. Possibly something is wrong with your Windows system, but I can't guess what it might be.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Out of curiosity, did you install VMWare while SheepShaver was running (the first time)?
Mr^Burns
Space Cadet

Post by Mr^Burns »

adespoton wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:15 pm Out of curiosity, did you install VMWare while SheepShaver was running (the first time)?
Nope.

Well now Vmware works fine everytime, but sheepshaver has to be reinstalled every time I want to use it, my only conclusion is cause i'm using a debloated Windows 10 version. Maybe it did something to the registry, oh well I can live with this situation.