Pasting in Basilisk and Sheepshaver

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Pasting in Basilisk and Sheepshaver

Post by starfiretbt »

How do I paste in Basilisk? I can Copy, I think, the copy option under edit highlights and flashes but the paste option doesn't light up. The only option I seem to have is to move the file onto another drive and that makes a copy that way, I can then move that file to where I want it to be but I was hoping for a more direct way.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Pasting in Basilisk and Sheepshaver

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

"Copy" is only available when something that can be copied is selected and "Paste" is only available if something is on the clipboard that can be pasted.
You can copy/paste selected text, or selected part of an image, or a file's icon. When you choose "Copy" while a file is selected in the Finder, you copy the file name.

If you want to copy/paste a file: That was never available in classic MacOS. That feature was introduced later in MacOSX.
I suppose you use System 7.5.3 in BasiliskII. In later MacOS versions you can copy a file within the same volume bij dragging while holding the Option key. Not sure if an extension was available to make that possible in an earlier System/MacOS version.
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Re: Pasting in Basilisk and Sheepshaver

Post by starfiretbt »

Okay, that makes sense. It's a nuisance, but like I said I have found that if I move a file onto another virtual drive it makes a copy while leaving the original so it's almost as good if not a little elaborate.